89S 350 TBI Head Gasket Replacement Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea when you have the motor running with the est unhooked it sets a code in the computer, you unhook it or pull the ecm fuse for a few minutes to clear it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That would make the most sense, but from a cost-effective standpoint I can't imagine GM making a different throttle body for the states with emission checks. I bought a second throttle body online and they needed to know the year/make/model but didn't ask if it was for a pollution controlled vehicle.

I thought they all had three ports on the front. All the forum pics I've seen were like mine and until today I didn't know some only had two.

I think my 49 states '88 looks like yours, so they were just using old parts. For some reason they ditched the smog pump on trucks when they went to serpentine belt, even though cars still got a pump. So there must be two TB's... one for cars and '87-'88 trucks (or anything in Cali), and another for '89-up trucks (federal).

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That would make the most sense, but from a cost-effective standpoint I can't imagine GM making a different throttle body for the states with emission checks. I bought a second throttle body online and they needed to know the year/make/model but didn't ask if it was for a pollution controlled vehicle.

I thought they all had three ports on the front. All the forum pics I've seen were like mine and until today I didn't know some only had two.
surfer, yours is a 3/4 ton also, and i think your engine is the 4 bolt with the 8.5:1 CR.
89, nice to see that your engine block is roller cam ready! Great Job indeed. That Walker exhaust doesn't sound bad either...Your videos make me want to just ditch my TPI induction and go with TBI, but I think I`m real close to getting the chip tuned just right for the Burb.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Hopefully it will give me the time I need to finish the rear tailpan repair and have time to either purchase a new or rebuilt short block or build one of my own.

I know this is opposite from what some others have posted in this thread but I think you'll be alright. If something else happens on the motor it's cuz something is already on it's way out and not cuz of the new heads :waytogo:

Glad you got 'er done and she's running good for ya :High 5:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
:rocking:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know this is opposite from what some others have posted in this thread but I think you'll be alright. If something else happens on the motor it's cuz something is already on it's way out and not cuz of the new heads :waytogo:

Glad you got 'er done and she's running good for ya :High 5:

I hope you're right. Everytime, not once or twice or 99% of time, EVERYTIME I have seen someone replace heads on a motor over 100,000 that increased compression, in less than 500 miles they were blowing blue smoke. I am talking about pre TBI motors though. I'm hoping TBI motors use better rings and they will hold up. If not, get some oil non foulers on the spark plugs so the plugs don't foul and it will continue to run good, just that it will have a trail of blue smoke following him. If you get pulled over for the smoke, just tell the cop you're doing mosquito abatement to keep mosquitos under control in the area and he should let you go.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nothing compared to the burning f'n antifreeze smoke crap, it was really bad, especially when it got cool and damp out, you couldn't see half the truck if the wind was blowing right, on top of breathing that **** in, thank god that is over.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're right. And burning oil or blowing blue smoke will not leave you stranded in most cases. You're cracked head and blown head gasket could have blown out completely at some point and left you stranded, or even overheat at times. You won't have to worry about any of that now. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nothing compared to the burning f'n antifreeze smoke crap, it was really bad, especially when it got cool and damp out, you couldn't see half the truck if the wind was blowing right, on top of breathing that **** in, thank god that is over.

So THAT'S why you've been a little "off" the since December....oh, wait... :eek:

:laughing1:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You're right. And burning oil or blowing blue smoke will not leave you stranded in most cases. You're cracked head and blown head gasket could have blown out completely at some point and left you stranded, or even overheat at times. You won't have to worry about any of that now. :waytogo:
Just watching the temp guage is giving me a HO. I never seen it so steady in my life. It goes up to *190 and stops and stays right there, and I was towing the boat yesterday in *90 plus heat. She's doin great. I do have a weeping VC gasket though, some one on the same side as before. The VC must be warped or something. I will be shopping around for a new pair, I don't want to be gooping this thing with sealant again.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
should be able to find cheap ones on ebay easy, or the junkyard, if not buy ya some chrome ones. Heck if I ever change mines I'd sell ya mine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
should be able to find cheap ones on ebay easy, or the junkyard, if not buy ya some chrome ones. Heck if I ever change mines I'd sell ya mine.
It's the back lower corner of the pass side one, looks ok, but it aint sealing completely. I'll be looking around for aftermarket ones. I want some new ones.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've always liked the matte black lookin' ones that say "Chevrolet" in red lettering on the top. Those look really nice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71