87 350 tbi exhaust chirp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hello all, I have an 87 Silverado with a tbi 350 (15,000 miles on replacement) that is making a weird chirping sound that's coming out the tailpipe, it happens while accelerating and going up hills, at idle it's quiet. I checked compression and I double checked there are no exhaust leaks. Any ideas?

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I've never heard an exhaust chirp that I recall. Could it be a rubber mount on an exhaust hanger chirping as the exhaust vibrates or bounces around?

Also, how are you sure it's coming from the tailpipe under acceleration? Aren't you driving up in the cab? Acoustics can play tricks on a guy.

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
the exhaust is new duals and I shook the exhaust around pretty good afterwards to check for that. the sound definitely comes from the rear. the only time it completely went away now that i think of it is when the transmission was going out on it a few months ago. Could a flex plate be to blame?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Could be a valve too tight or leaking Or bad plug, or wires

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
A valve might be a possibility, I will check that tomorrow

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
UPDATE: Just discovered that i can get the chirp sitting still if i switch to the other fuel tank, the fuel pump in that tank is just about shot so it makes it run bad, but anyways, with it sitting still i can walk to the back and the chirp is clearly coming out of the tailpipes and it's the same sound coming out of each side, this is making me think that it is one problem affecting both banks, maybe/hopefully just a vacuum leak?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
UPDATE: Just discovered that i can get the chirp sitting still if i switch to the other fuel tank, the fuel pump in that tank is just about shot so it makes it run bad, but anyways, with it sitting still i can walk to the back and the chirp is clearly coming out of the tailpipes and it's the same sound coming out of each side, this is making me think that it is one problem affecting both banks, maybe/hopefully just a vacuum leak?
Is this TRUE Duals or do You have a cross over pipe?? Also How good is that fuel in the other tank??? Any water in that fuel causing a missfire?

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
yes it is true duals with no crossover, the fuel is good. one other thing I was thinking is that maybe a gasket dried out because prior to me purchasing it the truck sat for about 8-9 years

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
also I am guessing that head gaskets are fine with 15k on the motor, i think it would be unlikely that they both are bad at the same time unless I'm mistaken

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Well, I am STUMPED, I checked valves, checked egr valve, complete tune up, good fuel, confirmed no vacuum leaks, there are other things i did that i am probably forgetting, I truly do not know what it is, the only thing i maybe can think of is that the mufflers are to blame, they are no name turbo mufflers from lmc truck, does anybody know if these are reversible or not? there are no markings on them indicating a flow direction.

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
Factory spare tucked under the back??

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
it is true duals with no crossover

If the pipes are separate without a crossover, the noise you're hearing probably isn't coming from inside either pipe. Nothing engine related should be chirping through both heads and exhaust pipes.

You're probably hearing a rub or vibration from somewhere else. Maybe both of your mufflers could be fubar, but that'd be odd since they're new and all.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Do you still have the factory manifolds? Is the air injection system still intact? Could it be related to that somehow?

Sometimes the internal baffles in a muffler will break the tack welds and move around. Could your noise be a metal to metal rubbing inside the muffler(s)?

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
mentioning that it may be somthing else reminds me of something, now that i think of it. The transmission went out on it in march, and the day before when i was driving it, the transmission started acting up and the sound completely went away. Maybe related?
If the pipes are separate without a crossover, the noise you're hearing probably isn't coming from inside either pipe. Nothing engine related should be chirping through both heads and exhaust pipes.

You're probably hearing a rub or vibration from somewhere else. Maybe both of your mufflers could be fubar, but that'd be odd since they're new and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507