87 350 tbi exhaust chirp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Do you still have the factory manifolds? Is the air injection system still intact? Could it be related to that somehow?

Sometimes the internal baffles in a muffler will break the tack welds and move around. Could your noise be a metal to metal rubbing inside the muffler(s)?
I do still have the factory manifolds, smog equipment was removed by previous owner. the best way I can describe the noise is a chirp, the only time I have heard somthing close to it is one time I had a small engine with a bad head gasket and when it would run some compression would escape past the head gasket and it would sound very similar to what I'm hearing now

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
A video would help maybe. If it will pick it up.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Could be an intake manifold gasket Sucking air in the valley?? If it were a Diesel it would have runaway lol.

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Could be an intake manifold gasket Sucking air in the valley?? If it were a Diesel it would have runaway lol.
theres a thought, this truck sat for about 8-9 years prior to me owning it, maybe those could have dried out, is there a way to check for this?

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
THE CULPRIT HAS BEEN FOUND the holes in the manifold from the smog pump still had the fasteners in them with the holes in the middle welded closed, I'm assuming the exiting exhaust gasses whistling over them was causing my sound, similar to how you can blow over the top of a pop bottle and the bottle whistles. replaced them with normal bolts and the chirp is gone completely

Sam71395

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
That is the same thread as a Cummins oil pan drain plug I'm thinkin.
possibly, I'm not sure, just found a couple of bolts layin around and put them in

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
THE CULPRIT HAS BEEN FOUND the holes in the manifold from the smog pump still had the fasteners in them with the holes in the middle welded closed, I'm assuming the exiting exhaust gasses whistling over them was causing my sound, similar to how you can blow over the top of a pop bottle and the bottle whistles. replaced them with normal bolts and the chirp is gone completely
That's why I asked about the manifolds in post #14. @bucket posted something about it a while back on his 454SS thread.

Mine was getting air in through part of the old smog system and causing me some backfiring issues.

Glad you found it and got it resolved.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
lol a bad enough intake leak can cause basically a "runaway" on a gas engine too. Lucky my truck is TBI, it sucks WOT when you start it because of a bad intake gasket that was neglected since before I bought it and finally just let go completely, but luckily it can't get fuel once you shut it off...

TerryRH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350ci
Wish I'd have seen this sooner. I have the same chirp, and recently found it was a bad intake gasket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe