SOLVED! 1987 350 TBI Timing advance issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
on the ICM harness -

black and red wire should ground through the ECM all the time. verify it is grounded good ground.

black and tan should have 5v when RPM>400. under 400RPM, or with the wire disconnected by brake booster, the timing is running only on the ICM timing. this will cause poor performance. you said you tested this wire, but make sure all connections are good. code 42 is set when it is open.

purple/white is the RPM signal back to the ECM. not for sure, but if this wire is bad, ECM may never see RPM>400 and will not send 5v to the black and tan and let computer control timing. check this one out also.

white is the timing control coming from the ECM when RPM>400. voltage will vary when system is working and ECM is controlling timing. voltage should be 0 if it is running off the module. I'd expect you have 0v.

I'd bet you have a connection or wire problem somewhere in that harness. or potentially the lowish probability the ECM is bad (or a bad connection at ECM).

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I think your ESC is working correctly based on your description of testing the knock sensor. I'd sort out the code 42 and see if that goes away..

troyfolley

Reaction score
First Name
T-roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
I tested the tan/blk but no voltage. Probably because idle is at 2000rpm. I will check the wire and connector again. What rpm should idle be to set base timing? How can I get the idle down. I have always been told not to puncture the seal and just idle screw on TBI.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
tan and black wire should have 5v if RPM>400. so high idle is a separate problem than your code 42.

jumper AB on ALDL for about 30sec to force IAC closed. then unplug the harness connector to IAC so it will stay closed. then see what RPM is after you start it. if it is still 2000rpm, you probably have a large vacuum leak or the min air screw (t15 or t20 set screw on front of TBI on driver side. behind a cover if never messed with, exposed if previously messed with) needs to be adjusted. I think turning it counter clockwise closes the throttle blades and clockwise opens them up more. adjust the screw until idle is in the 450-475 RPM range. then turn off the truck and plug in the IAC and restart and see if idle is correct.

if adjusting the set screw doesn't bring idle down, you have a large vacuum leak somewhere.

for the code 42, I suspect you have a wiring or connection issue.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think you are in a rabbit hole OP.

Wont increase rpm given gas you say?
I say bad / missing ground that didn't survive the engine swap.
Verify 1) driver side cylinder head to firewall and 2)engine block alternator to passenger fender 3) Negative battery terminal to core support.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
*in certain circles.

NOT to be confused with Metallica, Anthrax, and Slayer... AKA : "The big three".

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This thread has renewed my desire to "downgrade" my old TBI 'Burban to a carb and mechanical fuel pump
A vacuum leak is a vacuum leak whether it is a TBI or Carb. There's a lot of people that have "downgraded" because they couldn't figure out the problem, only to find they have the same problem with the "new" carb. Making sure you have clean power and ground connections is essential, regardless of fuel delivery type. Not having a vacuum leak is also essential.

For the OP.. it still sounds like a vacuum leak. I would suggest spraying down the whole intake area and especially the base of the throttle body to see if you hear an RPM change. 2k rpm idle is a hell of a vacuum leak.

troyfolley

Reaction score
First Name
T-roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
I think you are in a rabbit hole OP.

Wont increase rpm given gas you say?
I say bad / missing ground that didn't survive the engine swap.
Verify 1) driver side cylinder head to firewall and 2)engine block alternator to passenger fender 3) Negative battery terminal to core support.

Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Grounds are as follows.
Core support to battery
Battery to alternator bracket
Bell hosing to firewall

I will check again for vaccum leaks at TBI. Previously I checked just hoses

Thanks all. I will let you know what we find

Black01Z

Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There should be a ground coming out of the harness close to the thermostat housing

troyfolley

Reaction score
First Name
T-roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Yes that is connected. There are 2 grounds from the harness connected there actually.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Nope...rotlfmao..no megadeth. Soz.
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe we're onto something here OP.

Lookin at you: "bell housing to firewall".
Dude, we're gonna fix it. I hereby forwarded the motion THAT GROUND is insufficient and lies at the root of your issues.

My suggestion is to remove that ground strap, check and verify its' construction as good then move that end of it to an empty bolt hole on the back of the cylinder head (on whichever side is connected to fhe firewall).
Yes , you'll probably have to find a different/new bolt.

To be very clear, sandwiching what is to be the main engine ground eyelet between the transmission case and the engine block will not yield a sufficient engine ground.

That's my gamble. If you had a STUD with a nut on the end - the story would end there - but if doesn't. Amirite?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef