'87 TBI 350 Troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Good News! I figured out how to take it out of diagnostics mode(im pretty sure atleast). I emailed the guy that i bought the cable from and he said that i need pull the "B" pin, so I did. Not sure why i didnt think to do that before.

Here is the new tunerpro file with it out of diagnostics mode. i know that it has fouled plugs so ill check them tomarrow. would have check them today but it started to rain again.

Cool, I will look tomorrow. Good to hear it idled down!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Gonna need you to email it. Sorry its taking so long for me to look at these...laptop is being funky.

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gonna need you to email it. Sorry its taking so long for me to look at these...laptop is being funky.

I tried to open it and all it did was open the tuner studio that I already have loaded into My flaptop.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok, that looked ok, a little on the lean side with a BLM of 133. So, the next log. Disconnect your battery before starting. hook it back up, and do a log from cold start, and go for a 20 minute drive. drive like a senior for 10 minutes, then drive it like you stole it....or rented it.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Disconnect your battery before starting. hook it back up, and do a log from cold start, and go for a 20 minute drive. drive like a senior for 10 minutes, then drive it like you stole it....or rented it.

I can't drive it because the inspection sticker expired at the end of December.

I was almost out of gas so i took it down the street anyways to get some and it didn't like it very much. Had so little power that it wouldn't shift until I let off the throttle a little and started to backfire when it got warmed up. This was with the esc unplugged because it won't idle by its self when it's plugged in.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hmmm, ok. Have you replaced the 02 sensor yet, I noticed that is a little slow in switching. Idle speed is a little low for the temp of the engine....when you first start it, does it run around 1000 rpm?
A video would help too if you could get one...maybe pointed at the injectors?

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Hmmm, ok. Have you replaced the 02 sensor yet, I noticed that is a little slow in switching. Idle speed is a little low for the temp of the engine....when you first start it, does it run around 1000 rpm?
A video would help too if you could get one...maybe pointed at the injectors?

yeah i put the O2 sensor in about a week ago. that was PITA to do.

When i first start it i have to open the throttle a little for it to start and it doesnt idle up at all.

I will try to get a video taken some time this weekend.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yeah i put the O2 sensor in about a week ago. that was PITA to do.

When i first start it i have to open the throttle a little for it to start and it doesnt idle up at all.

I will try to get a video taken some time this weekend.

have you plugged back in the idle air motor? I noticed the Iac counts were like 123, and it was only idling at 650.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
have you plugged back in the idle air motor? I noticed the Iac counts were like 123, and it was only idling at 650.

yep. it as one of the first things i checked when i started it because it was idleing so low.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
My dad thinks that it is the ECM thats bad. he says that we have replaced pretty much everything else so we ordered one from Rock Auto.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My dad thinks that it is the ECM thats bad. he says that we have replaced pretty much everything else so we ordered one from Rock Auto.

Thats kinda where I started to go after looking at these last few logs...The injector drivers have been known to go on those 7747 ecm's, and there was a fix using transistors, but you are better off with a reman....saves time, and sanity.
The lean condition i saw on the log will jack the timing around too.. Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing anything with the ECM.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
Thats kinda where I started to go after looking at these last few logs...The injector drivers have been known to go on those 7747 ecm's, and there was a fix using transistors, but you are better off with a reman....saves time, and sanity.
The lean condition i saw on the log will jack the timing around too.. Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing anything with the ECM.

I will definately make sure to disconnect the battery when i do this. the ecm that we got is a good acdelco one. it was the cheapest and it didnt have a core charge.

Is there any tricks to swaping the ecms? I know the connectors are pretty strait forward. the PROM i figure is simple. Is there anything else that i shoul know about?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I will definately make sure to disconnect the battery when i do this. the ecm that we got is a good acdelco one. it was the cheapest and it didnt have a core charge.

Is there any tricks to swaping the ecms? I know the connectors are pretty strait forward. the PROM i figure is simple. Is there anything else that i shoul know about?

plug and play. be very careful when swapping the chips over, they are a very tight fit, and its not hard to bend the chip terminals.
you will know if any are bent when you turn the key on...the check engine light will rapid fire.

Jake292

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
350 efi, 700r4
plug and play. be very careful when swapping the chips over, they are a very tight fit, and its not hard to bend the chip terminals.
you will know if any are bent when you turn the key on...the check engine light will rapid fire.

got the ecm swapped over and it fired right up but the check engine light is rapidfireing like you said. i checked the PROM chips and none of the terminals were bent. is there something else that could cause this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus