'84 K20 Suburban Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

terrencebane

Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
How can the tailgate be opened (or can it) without battery power to drop the window? Is there a way to do this?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'd imagine Sub's are like Blazers which have an access panel on the inside of the tgate. Once you get inside the tgate you can fix the window issue or unscrew the window drive cable from the motor (looks like a short speedo cable) and use a drill to spin it to lower the window.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'd imagine Sub's are like Blazers which have an access panel on the inside of the tgate. Once you get inside the tgate you can fix the window issue or unscrew the window drive cable from the motor (looks like a short speedo cable) and use a drill to spin it to lower the window.
Yes, there's an access panel on the inside of the tailgate. If your Burb has the plastic trim on it, that is on top of the access panel. The power window has a pin switch on it, to keep the window from working when the gate is open, but this can be bypassed by pushing the switch pin in. The regulator and motor are most of the weight of these gates; they're surprisingly light without the internal parts.
Dad and I rebuilt a couple of these on the truck, years ago. Back then I think you could still source the parts through Chevrolet, but now you may have to go aftermarket. I had one of these gates that I got rid of a couple years ago; my last square body Burb was barn doors so I had no use for it.
I think the service procedures are in the shop manuals....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's no drive cable on a Suburban.

Is there no battery power because there is an issue, or simply no battery installed in the rig?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67