79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I don't plan to keep red interior I'd rather have it black and have it red outside lol. They dyed em though rears were white, fronts were black, and I really don't think it's a stock red, it's pretty bright. It has black carpet black rear panels, red seat belts front and rear, red seats, red dash and wheel.

I'm leaning towards the olds, no replacement for displacment.

I do have the shaker scoop and base as well as the air cleaner that goes on the olds 403, so if I go 403 it all should bolt up and work as stock.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Love the 70-73 and 78-81 TAs I looked at a 78 couple years before I bought my vette. Now that I am fatter and the vette isn't as comfortable wishing i had bought a TA instead.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
It'll be amazing when its done!

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yeah the red looked a little loud to me, but I figured that was just the camera. The dash looks the right color, if the seats are as bright as they look in the pics they can't be real. Especially with the rest of the car, for the seats to be that intact I'd have to assume they're not original. The "trans am" sticker on the rear also is definitely not factory.

Still cool as hell though

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Yeah the red looked a little loud to me, but I figured that was just the camera. The dash looks the right color, if the seats are as bright as they look in the pics they can't be real. Especially with the rest of the car, for the seats to be that intact I'd have to assume they're not original. The "trans am" sticker on the rear also is definitely not factory.

Still cool as hell though

they air burhsed the trans am on back looks like they stuck on the trans am letters air brushed then removed them to leave it flamed with the solid black letter that are the black paint under it.

As for the seat syes they are that color alot brighter red then the dash. The fronts were black under that and rears white, the one door panel is the same bright red and was white.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
so we had a couple decent days here and I cut this crap out of there...
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not sure if you can make it out but the 2nd pic from the bottom where the black ends and you rusty metal and the bondo chunks well there's a big low dent They warped the roof or burgered it up pretty good I may have to buy myself a stud gun dent puller to try and fix it. That is why they had the bondo laid on it like 1/2 thick. I do have another sunroof to go in there, may have to open the hole up some which is fine with me. I also picked up the trans crossmember I found out was missing, a non ac heater box for the outside firewall, gotta get the inner still, and picked up some nice seat tracks since mine were junk, Also got the plastic headliner side trim in good shape

I need to get the springs for the tracks as mine were junk and these had none of course lol. Still working on things lil by lil mostly buying small pieces. I got my door handle gaskets in, also new outer door handles, and the mirror hardware. I have to order one mirror bracket still yet.

I also bought myself a mic to check my crank since th elocal shop closed, and it said it had .010 under bearings both rods and mains, and I checked one of the old bearings and indeed had .010 stamped on it. So now I hope to start ordering bearings, plastigage, rings etc to start on the rebuild.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You certainly have a little bit of work to complete... not to mention your shop is in serious need of cleaning and organizing. That's where i would start!
Don't do that! You'll never find anything again!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
yea I don't plan to keep red interior I'd rather have it black and have it red outside lol. They dyed em though rears were white, fronts were black, and I really don't think it's a stock red, it's pretty bright. It has black carpet black rear panels, red seat belts front and rear, red seats, red dash and wheel.

I'm leaning towards the olds, no replacement for displacment.

I do have the shaker scoop and base as well as the air cleaner that goes on the olds 403, so if I go 403 it all should bolt up and work as stock.

Yep. That's the wrong red for a Pontiac interior. They originally had matching dyes and paint for interior pieces but due to the different materials and the exposure to elements they all faded differently.

As Honky Kong Jr. said, I'd find somebody that does Dustless Blasting and do the entire thing. Just be ready to start painting as soon as it dries.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Woah, that poor roof. As much as I hate to say it, a sunroof would be the easiest fix.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Don't do that! You'll never find anything again!

Around here I bitch out everyone with a dirty shop. That's because I don't have one myself... sucks...

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Or a new roof skin.
I need to jump in to body work on my camaro, all quotes that I have been getting are outside of what I can pay

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Targa Trans Am?????

I had actually considered that one or like I told the wife put a sunroof on each side or do one front and back LOL

go get some t-tops themselves and trim and just get to cutting, have to weld the middle back up though. They said the guy who owned it and kept the hood had a t-top roof he'd let go for like 200, or something but I don't think it had the tops and I'd bet just the tops cost me over 200 to get I know all the interior plastic trim aint cheap.

I wished I could weld I would just plug it off like Curt did that old truck he sold, and do it back who it was or should be solid hard top, but I figure I'll warp it worse. The hole in the roof looks small and funny. I'm guessing it'll be ok once done, painted and sunroof in it.

If I had the cash I'd find a shop who could do it right and not need a huge coat of filler. I'd just have them weld it in and let me do the rest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD