79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Just make sure you brace the body before cutting.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
still not much happening of course. I'm still buying parts a lil at a time mostly 403 rebuild stuff. I know have a set of rod and main bearings as well as some stock 403 piston moly ring set. I need of course, cam lifters, timing set, oil pump, gaskets, and freeze plugs.

I did strip off the front clip, for one to have more room, 2 so I can clean and paint everything, and 3 subframe bushings were shot. I haven't got the subframe out from under it yet but all bolts have been removed and replaced hand tight so I can turn the car around before removing it.

I was going to go with a comp cams xe274 but it comes in around $200 and I doubt I end up having that much cash at one time LOL So I'm now leaning towardsa a stock olds w30 or w31 cam setup. One has 232 degrees duration at .050 and 474 lift I think. The other has 244 duration and 475 lift. both are said to have a lope ar idle.

I'm still on the look out for some cheap olds 350 heads I could pu ton to raise compression. I was told to gwet big block olds heads instead for flow and big valves, but in order to use those on a 403 you have to hand port the intake and only a few intakes have enough meat on top to use. I heard the stock 403 would, if not it'd have to be the e-brock P rpm which is fine I want one, but over 300 for an intake I have to carve up,, eeewwww

Also to have the sbo heads they say to get them cut to run the 403 or big block valves AND to have them milled, not real sure how much that'd cost me. I'm sure it's a few hundred, and that'd really put the build on hold.

I have to work on a tight budget, and I'd like to get it running on it's own, ut I'd also love to drop some serious coin and parts into it. Like flat tops, well kb dished ones with less dish then stock to raise compression, but you have to have it bored as well, they don't come in stock bore size. Then as mentioned big block heads, rpm intake stuff like that. I could do it and it'd take time, like alot of it. The car wouldn't be up and running or moving either. Unless I do the sbc I got, just to get it up and going and spend funds on the rest of the car, then focus fund into the 403.

Honestly I keep going over and over that, but it's basically just coming back to me building it stock with stock stuff 4a heads stock 403 with a mild cam.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If low budget is the goal, I'd just get it going using what you already have. Then enjoy it!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Honestly I keep going over and over that, but it's basically just coming back to me building it stock with stock stuff 4a heads stock 403 with a mild cam.

People spun wildly into ditches and spilled their Keystone light everywhere propelled by stock suck ass 403's.

Do the simple thing, get it going, go from there.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know from all my reading so far it seems they were called dogs because or the bad gearing, I know that all too well with dads 84 having 2.72's and it sucks.

We do have a set of 3.90's for his truck he told me to use in mine, but I'm thinking a 3.90 might be a bit much. The s10 had 4.10's and it really had the rpms around town 2500 or more. I never hit the highway, had great power of course.

I think I need around a 3.42 to me I think that'd be best, 3.08 for me I think would be a bit too much highway, but would work and be ok, and 3.73's are like the 3.90's a bit much but would work. I think 3.23 would be very close as well, so thinking like 3.23's or 3.42's It's just a th350, and no plans to change and somewhere between say 26-28 overall rear tire height. it will be mostly around town, however this one since it can haul the family might see some highway.

That was exactly my thoughts, I want the 403 because its new and different for me, and I hear alot more torque, maybe a lil bit more hp then sbc, but I could get it together as is for now, stockish. Then later if I can afford better heads, be it stock sbo, or bbo, or even if I win th elottery alum aftermarkets LOL, and intake, and just do that change with it in car.

I have so much now to spend cash on to get it going, as in all new brakes all around, lines, mc, booser and all, steering, all new, and suspension, some, like bushings etc. I've of course got some body and paint to do, and some missing interior pieces but not tons.

Low budget isn't really my goal but it's one of those things that has to happen sadly. I appreciate the kind words guys, yall always seem to have my back, when others would say do it right the first time or don't do it at all, or spend 1000's not 100's or don't bother.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
People spun wildly into ditches and spilled their Keystone light everywhere propelled by stock suck ass 403's.

Do the simple thing, get it going, go from there.
Lmao....

Good advice though

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Low budget isn't really my goal but it's one of those things that has to happen sadly. I appreciate the kind words guys, yall always seem to have my back, when others would say do it right the first time or don't do it at all, or spend 1000's not 100's or don't bother.

I find this kind of thinking elitist and a way to look down their noses at others.

It's more important to me that you enjoy it than you do it to my stupid standards.

3.42's are a good driver gear with no OD.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hey bubba, you need to watch some more episodes of Roadkill. It will inspire the **** outta you to run what ya brung, and fix up what ya can later. As long as the brakes are good, the trans pulls and the rear end aint falling apart, and get something running and put in it for now. Then get it out and drive it! I've watched them guys fly across the country, find some old beater, fix the brakes and get it running good enough to get to the nearest parts store parking lot and bash the **** out of it in a short amount of time and drive it all the way back across the country.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, that Roadkill show is some amazing inspiration. The first couple seasons are on Netflix, I can't wait for more to get put on there.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not a huge fan of roadkill, I can't stand some of the hack jobs or stuf they ruin, namely that nice squarebody I'd loved to have had and they hacked it up.

As for getting junk and throwing it together or driving death traps, I like it. I like the stuff they show and have, just hate them to ruin something good.

Wife bought a new camera last night because the cell phone pics suck, so hopefully here in a few hours I can drag myself out in the cold and take some good pics of my junk.

As for brakes, I may not go big guns and buy all wilwood or brembo and such but I do replace it all with new. Wheel cylinders, hardware kits, drums resurfaced or replaced, pads, shoes, calipers, etc. I also do the same for steering, maybe not all bushings, but tie rod ends, ball joints and such yes just change em. Yall know me by now I like them to be more show, all shiney and nice, I like my chrome and shiney polished paint, and to be neat and clean, the garage not so much LOL

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I agree, get it running and enjoy it, then build any other goodies to add or swap in at a later date as the budget allows.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah, that Roadkill show is some amazing inspiration. The first couple seasons are on Netflix, I can't wait for more to get put on there.
they are all on youtube, its where i watch them.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I have MTOD, it's the only TV I pay for lol.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
not a huge fan of roadkill, I can't stand some of the hack jobs or stuf they ruin, namely that nice squarebody I'd loved to have had and they hacked it up.

As for getting junk and throwing it together or driving death traps, I like it. I like the stuff they show and have, just hate them to ruin something good.

Wife bought a new camera last night because the cell phone pics suck, so hopefully here in a few hours I can drag myself out in the cold and take some good pics of my junk.

As for brakes, I may not go big guns and buy all wilwood or brembo and such but I do replace it all with new. Wheel cylinders, hardware kits, drums resurfaced or replaced, pads, shoes, calipers, etc. I also do the same for steering, maybe not all bushings, but tie rod ends, ball joints and such yes just change em. Yall know me by now I like them to be more show, all shiney and nice, I like my chrome and shiney polished paint, and to be neat and clean, the garage not so much LOL

look around for brake upgrades (IIRC) the 98+ s10 spindles work on the 2nd gen fbodies and can provide a brake upgrade without breaking the bank. Also the rear discs from s10 and 93-02 Fbody bolt on to the factory flange on the 10 bolt in your car, I did it with 69 camaro I had and 95 calipers with e brake.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I got some pics but they aren't the best either, it's a cheap camera gonna have to figure it out or buy a better one. I'm not happy nor impressed with it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes