Want to bag 79. But also want to keep it around stock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am looking at puting bags in my 79 c10 stepside. The only thing is when it's not lowered I want it at or around stock height since it's still going to be a daily truck.
If that's possable how much would it be? How complicated would that be. I'm very new to this and still learning so I dont understand too much yet. So sorry in advance for any stupidity.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Should be possible but that's a lot of parts work and money. Do you want to improve handling? Go for good coil over shocks, tubular control arms, sway bars front and back and a good steering box if you want to be around stock height. No need for compressor valves lines etc.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Agreed. That IS a LOT of work and it gets more expensive by the day. Airbags in 4 corners?= >$1000.
Add wheels, tires, shocks? > $2000.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My other 2 cents says I am a fan of moderate lowering and have been successful with that in the past. It's less than 1/10 the cost of airbags.. Shoot for a 2/4. Lower your expectations and your truck at the same time. Save money. I'm all about bang per buck. :waytogo:

Think about taking the bed off.
That's a one man job if you have a cherry picker....Drilling the rivets out of your spring hangers in the back and adding lowering shackles...Together that can yield 4 inches static drop to the back AND you may be able to simply change the front springs which can provide two inches drop up front.
OR! You can cut the stock springs which can be free? Don't let it scare ya. Need a cut off wheel, an air compressor and a 5 gallon bucket with spring compressors.

Static drop is all I know about that.static is for the win. U got it.

Easily the least expensive, lowest maintenance, best look, in my opinion.

Pretty sure if you want 5 inches or more out back you gotta do an axle flip and notch the frame - but then it will be too low and nobody in their right mind cuts the frame! Further down up front requires new a-arms and you've lost control of the cost because driveshaft angles and shocks, etc.etc... Plus them parts aint cheap. More than 2 up front will require new wheels AND tires.

Cost balloons VERY QUICKLY over a 2-4 - add the cost of  class and utility.

I bet you can hook up a 2-4 static for $100 if you have the tools.

I'd start there -that's good advice , stranger. Best wishes, post a pix of your truck mm kay!!??

I kinda answered the query. U got what u paid for ++

:pics-stfu:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Kk. Might be more work than it's worth. I thought maybe it would be cool to be able to drop it for cruzeing and whatnot and raise it to normal when I'm just driving.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Successfully introducing airbags to a vehicle that never had them is considered very advanced (expensive) AND time consuming.
For a daily and a guy with little experience?
It would be cool but man so is a static 2-4. $100 and one weekend is very realistic.
It's wicked good fun.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
If you do the work yourself it'd probbaly be around $2,000. Just rough guessing.
How much are you wanting to be able to lower it for cruising? If it's just an inch or two you could do that with spindles up front and shackles in the rear for a few hundred and it really won't change the ride so you could leave it that way all the time.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you do the work yourself it'd probbaly be around $2,000. Just rough guessing.
How much are you wanting to be able to lower it for cruising? If it's just an inch or two you could do that with spindles up front and shackles in the rear for a few hundred and it really won't change the ride so you could leave it that way all the time.
Maybe half the ride height?
We alrety have to replace/redo the front suspension.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Agree with cut coils and relocated spring hangers. Did dozens of trucks that way over the last 45 years.

Both of these were done that way. The red truck went 30 years and 200k miles as a daily with no issues.

Total cost: $1.38 for some grade 8 bolts/nuts, plus a front end alignment.

K

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
When you say you want to bag it, what's the goal? Have it laying frame? Rocker? Just getting low? How much do you drive it?

Bags are very expensive and complicated, plus if you want to go from laying frame to stock ride height, I'm not sure that's possible while being reliable. Some bags do have a lot of travel but your suspension geometry changes through the range of motion, so the more the height varies, the more the geometry changes. Also, if you drive it alot, gotta think about what if a bag blows/gets torn.

Just my 2 cents, I'd shoot for your "ride height" being equivalent of 4/6 or 5/8 and then just dump the bags when you park. Just for reference, I drive my truck all over the country (and it was my daily/only vehicle for 2 years) at 5/8, don't have to be stock ride height to drive. I'm static dropped but I do have helper bags in the back for when I'm loaded down. Top and middle are both 4/6. Bottom is 5/8. Bottom picture was taken at Dino's Git Down in AZ, I'm from Ga lol

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
how hard would it be to raise it (just normally not with bags) compared to use bags to lower. i dont really want to static lower it. ive got some rough roads in town. it will see some dirt too. mainly why i asked if you cool have airbags at stock height and lower it for smoother roads and whatnot.
when we got the truck i ether wanted to raise it (dont know how much yet, maybe just tall enough to where it would be logical to install some steps.) or lower it with bags installed.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When you say you want to bag it, what's the goal? Have it laying frame? Rocker? Just getting low? How much do you drive it?

Bags are very expensive and complicated, plus if you want to go from laying frame to stock ride height, I'm not sure that's possible while being reliable. Some bags do have a lot of travel but your suspension geometry changes through the range of motion, so the more the height varies, the more the geometry changes. Also, if you drive it alot, gotta think about what if a bag blows/gets torn.

Just my 2 cents, I'd shoot for your "ride height" being equivalent of 4/6 or 5/8 and then just dump the bags when you park. Just for reference, I drive my truck all over the country (and it was my daily/only vehicle for 2 years) at 5/8, don't have to be stock ride height to drive. I'm static dropped but I do have helper bags in the back for when I'm loaded down. Top and middle are both 4/6. Bottom is 5/8. Bottom picture was taken at Dino's Git Down in AZ, I'm from Ga lol

what are your tires in the first picture?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
how hard would it be to raise it (just normally not with bags) compared to use bags to lower. i dont really want to static lower it. ive got some rough roads in town. it will see some dirt too. mainly why i asked if you cool have airbags at stock height and lower it for smoother roads and whatnot.
when we got the truck i ether wanted to raise it (dont know how much yet, maybe just tall enough to where it would be logical to install some steps.) or lower it with bags installed.
Oh, I see. Honestly, I've never seen anyone do that so I'm not sure what that would take or how you'd accomplish it. Most guys I know of doing bags are to slam it. My helper bag setup will move the rear up and down a couple inches, but I'm not sure how you'd do the front. But if you'll be on dirt, you do not want bags. Any little thing that gets in the pocket and rubs on the bellows will rub a hole through the bag real quick.

I'm not sure about raising it. There's not much for these half ton 2wd trucks for lifts. Maybe some other guys can chime in. I know a couple guys have used OBS lift spindles but you have to use different ball joints and all kind of crap to adapt it.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
what are your tires in the first picture?
The first picture is 20x8s and 20x10s with 245/45/20 and 275/40/20 tires. That one is a 2.5" spindle, 1 coil cut off Mood replacement 454 springs and a 6" flip kit in the rear. It's not super low. You'd be fine, even on dirt roads and stuff with that.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh I completely forgot about stuff getting into the bags and puting holes in them. Even if I didn't take ot on dirt they wouldn't be smart. Small town loose roads.
I guess I will lift it a bit. We kind-of wanted to put power steps on the truck. We have ways thought thoes were cool and would really fit what were going for. They make more sense with a lifted truck versus a completely stock one.

How hard would it be to lift it? And expensive? I'm shure it would be a bit less than bags? Like I said erlier we have to replace some stuff in the front suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef