79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it's like any glare I get from lights or shiney paint is terrible. I know a couple were probably just me moving or something. Next time I'll give it a chance to get to the same temps as the garage after being in the warm house, and try and avoid the glare

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
look around for brake upgrades (IIRC) the 98+ s10 spindles work on the 2nd gen fbodies and can provide a brake upgrade without breaking the bank. Also the rear discs from s10 and 93-02 Fbody bolt on to the factory flange on the 10 bolt in your car, I did it with 69 camaro I had and 95 calipers with e brake.

yes there was a write up on nastyz28 fb page as well as the forum page for an s10 rear disc brake upgrade for f body's using a 4wd backing plate on one side and a 2wd backing plate on the other, which strikes me as weird enough LOL. They had around $500 in it I think, and for me finding those backing plates would be the worst, to buy new calipers or rotors I'd hit rockauto or whatever and get em as cheap as possible. I've got no problems just using the stock drum stuff with it all new, but going to disc is an option for later for sure.

As soon as it gets warm of course I can start really working on stuff, but then focus will jump towards the vette, since it's legal to drive and we've never had it out.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
yes there was a write up on nastyz28 fb page as well as the forum page for an s10 rear disc brake upgrade for f body's using a 4wd backing plate on one side and a 2wd backing plate on the other, which strikes me as weird enough LOL. They had around $500 in it I think, and for me finding those backing plates would be the worst, to buy new calipers or rotors I'd hit rockauto or whatever and get em as cheap as possible. I've got no problems just using the stock drum stuff with it all new, but going to disc is an option for later for sure.

As soon as it gets warm of course I can start really working on stuff, but then focus will jump towards the vette, since it's legal to drive and we've never had it out.

I used stock mounts I bought from www.gmpartsdirect.com for the lt1 calipers

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I'll race ya to the end! Lets see who can get their 79's running the cheapest, before Fall 2018.

Winner gets to drive their car first lol.

I gotta say I would love to build my 403 but getting power out of olds engines is expensive. Id love to do an LS swap but I dont have the facility (working under a tree on dirt) to do it right, or the budget. What id love more is to take that TA up the mountain road near my house, so thats the goal. Autolite spark plugs and Standard ignition parts. I'm cheapin out on rock auto and I want my 5% discount too!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mine won't be the cheapest since I'm doing full rebuild on the 403 and then brakes and such lol I highly doubt it'd be done this year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the S10 spindles bolt on? If so, I really need to go junkyarding.

As for the brakes, it's only the later S10 Blazers and counterparts that got the better caliper/disc setup. Pickups made do with the same old single piston setup. The pickups all got rear drum too.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
mine won't be the cheapest since I'm doing full rebuild on the 403 and then brakes and such lol I highly doubt it'd be done this year.

I tried lol. Its better not to rush anway. I'm hoping to get mine going by the end of summer. Its been in a garage since 1994 so I have to redo the brake system and get the engine going(it spins, just hope it runs well)...after i install the trans.

Good luck with yours, I'll be following the thread.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I tried lol. Its better not to rush anway. I'm hoping to get mine going by the end of summer. Its been in a garage since 1994 so I have to redo the brake system and get the engine going(it spins, just hope it runs well)...after i install the trans.

Good luck with yours, I'll be following the thread.

good luck with yours, I have to keep watch on yours as well. Alot of stuff I don't have to do but I want to and now's the time so why not, like painting the firewall good and the backside of the fenders and inner front bumper fender wells etc. It's really rough now no clue what they used almost like rough undercoat. That and the car side subframe bushings are shot, the radiator support ones are new rubber but the car side are almost not even there. I have no booster, no master cylinder, some lines twisted off at the prop. valve and some broke at the rear end, so might as well do em all new. Not sure if I'll get pre flared straights like I did my s10 locally, or order some pre bent pre flared kits made for it, oe steel or stainless. I really want stainless for no rust, but it aint cheap and nobody will ever see except for the under hood lines.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
good luck with yours, I have to keep watch on yours as well. Alot of stuff I don't have to do but I want to and now's the time so why not, like painting the firewall good and the backside of the fenders and inner front bumper fender wells etc. It's really rough now no clue what they used almost like rough undercoat. That and the car side subframe bushings are shot, the radiator support ones are new rubber but the car side are almost not even there. I have no booster, no master cylinder, some lines twisted off at the prop. valve and some broke at the rear end, so might as well do em all new. Not sure if I'll get pre flared straights like I did my s10 locally, or order some pre bent pre flared kits made for it, oe steel or stainless. I really want stainless for no rust, but it aint cheap and nobody will ever see except for the under hood lines.

Might want to check out the Ni-Cop lines. Everyone I've run across who has used them seems to love 'em. Haven't used them myself, but they're supposedly very easy to shape by hand, with excellent corrosion resistance.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Might want to check out the Ni-Cop lines. Everyone I've run across who has used them seems to love 'em. Haven't used them myself, but they're supposedly very easy to shape by hand, with excellent corrosion resistance.

They are almost too easy to bend. You get everything bent all perfect, one false move and there's a bend where you didn't want one, lol.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So the S10 spindles bolt on? If so, I really need to go junkyarding.

As for the brakes, it's only the later S10 Blazers and counterparts that got the better caliper/disc setup. Pickups made do with the same old single piston setup. The pickups all got rear drum too.

I had an '03 S10 Blazer ZR2, had the same ****** single piston rear calipers my '01 2WD pickup had, not the drums like my '93 S10 Blazer Sport...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had an '03 S10 Blazer ZR2, had the same ****** single piston rear calipers my '01 2WD pickup had, not the drums like my '93 S10 Blazer Sport...

I meant the pickups kept the single piston front calipers. So you had a pickup that was not drum rear?

I could be wrong about all this now. I used to pay attention to what came under all the newer models that came into the shop. So I knew what to get as junkyard upgrades for my '91. But, that S10 is long gone and I've been away from the shop for several years now.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

I have seen those kits on ebay cheap like 60 for a whole squarebody truck etc. with different lengths and fittings. I figured they were too cheap or being abl to bend that easy might blow out or something. I was hoping to find more reviews or somebody who had used them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128