47,500 mile 1979 K20 Scottsdale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That reminds me I had mentioned City of Moore used to have 2 squares, 1 ton 4x4's that were used as Brush Pumpers for driving out in fields on brush fires. I had previously said they Sold them. I was at the City Garage the other day, and at least one of the trucks is still there at the City Garage where they store the new and old wrecked Crown Vics. I didn't have my cam with me, but I'd like to get over there and take some pics of it. I have a feeling if that one is there, then the other probably is too.

I guess Moore PD really liked the Crown Vics. I know at one time when I over there when towing, they had a whole fleet of brand new Crown Vics. About 20 or so. It appears there is still a few of those left that have not been put into service yet. I was told those were ordered over 3 years ago and just put into service as one is cycled out. And then they've also got some of the new PI Exploders running around town now too.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Get that square!!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The wear on the brake pedal rubber tells me that's a 147,000 mile truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The wear on the brake pedal rubber tells me that's a 147,000 mile truck.

I was thinking the same thing. That's the #1 way to tell high or low mileage. Now I have seen some, and not even kidding, my granddad was a brake rider with a 2 driver, and he's wear off the left edge in 25,000 miles or so. :crazy:

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Our dept's grass rig is a '77 and has less than 50,000 miles on it and the brake pedal is wore out. Guess thats what you get when your in and out and ride the brakes when in use.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Our dept's grass rig is a '77 and has less than 50,000 miles on it and the brake pedal is wore out. Guess thats what you get when your in and out and ride the brakes when in use.

That actually does make sense too, cuz I'm sure they're riding the brake if it's an auto. IIRC, our City of Moore Brush Pumper Squares were SM465 with PTO to run the pump. I swear, one of these days I'm going to go in the City Garage and get pics. They're long out of service but they are still at the city garage. Not sure what they're saving them for cuz they've been retired with FERDs at 3 of going to be 5 stations we'll have. Maybe they are going to be placed at the new stations that are currently being built and put back into service. They're not bad looking trucks and well maintained.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
My work van has only 16k miles. All I ever do is drive around campus. Longest trip is from my office to the med school. 6 miles round trip. I have worn straight through one brake pedal pad and am on my second now. The van gets used every day by about a dozen different people. I don't know that it is a good indicator for a gov. owned ride. I barely get to let off the gas when I drive it because there are so many students everywhere and I am nearly certain that the van has never reached over 55mph. Is it low miles...yes. Would I buy it at auction...**** no. It has been through 3 transmissions and I drive over curbs all day in it. It just had its first car wash in the 6 years I have worked here last week. The carbon deposits in the engine are probably incredible. If I put SeaFoam through it I bet I could smoke out the whole town. ANd it is only 9 years old and only has 16k miles.

However, we are fully capable of rebuilding engines and that is a beautiful truck. GO FOR IT. Just saying, the brake pedal isn't necessarily a great indication on some rides.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
My best friend is a fireman here in Wyoming MN. The department has a few small trucks, the Grass rig is a 1993 Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 with about 28K miles and it has a worn out front seat already. Their 2000 Dodge 3500 dually with a service body has 24K miles and the interior is disintegrating. The brake pad is worn, the driver’s seat is missing a huge chunk of foam and the dashboard is all cracked up. Both these trucks are near perfect on the outside though.

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising