D70HD brake shoe width?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
From a bit of searching, seems the DRW D70 I’m refreshing for the wife’s Burban SHOULD have 13x3.5in shoes?

Doing some shady measuring (tape measure went MIA, used a 100ft flex tape) I’m getting a width that’s closer to 3in? (2 7/8 wide)

What do I have here? Figured I’d ask before I yard a shoe off and try to get the numbskulls at the auto parts store to help.
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Did the axle come out of a Chevy dually? I believe the 70HD also came in none GM trucks.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did the axle come out of a Chevy dually? I believe the 70HD also came in none GM trucks.
It came out from under one, but that doesn’t really mean much. Pic in the first post of the housing number? Need to get a better pic of that, see if I can reference that. Date code on the ring gear is ‘85 I think

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok, it’s likely a true GM axle then.

Just to say it… the 70HD that’s in the diff webbing is the only useful info. The rear face of the passenger side axle tube will have a 6-7 digit number stamped in it, this is what you would use on the Dana site to decipher the axle.

I’d recheck the shoe size again. I agree the shoe size should be 13x3.5. The drum should have the diameter stamped in it on the edge somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117