350 tbi problem???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Wow, that's a bad surge. The only one that I've dealt with that was that bad came from a bad PCM on a newer TBI. I knew it was bad, though, because it had a hard SES light and no capacity to interface. Going by the light, yours is doing what it's supposed to. High idle, tendency to initially die, and running better with the TPS unplugged really sound the warning bells for a serious vacuum leak. That's not infallible, but I would be getting the gauge on there pronto. Even if it's not, there's a lot a vacuum gauge will tell you about what's going on.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
you say the exhaust is really rich and burns your eyes? do you have any exhaust leaks?

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
Wow, that's a bad surge. The only one that I've dealt with that was that bad came from a bad PCM on a newer TBI. I knew it was bad, though, because it had a hard SES light and no capacity to interface. Going by the light, yours is doing what it's supposed to. High idle, tendency to initially die, and running better with the TPS unplugged really sound the warning bells for a serious vacuum leak. That's not infallible, but I would be getting the gauge on there pronto. Even if it's not, there's a lot a vacuum gauge will tell you about what's going on.

Are you talking about a computer scanner to watch live data or a vaccum gauge.

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
you say the exhaust is really rich and burns your eyes? do you have any exhaust leaks?

IT DOES SOUND LIKE IT MAY HAVE AN EXHAUST LEAK AND KINDA SOUNDS LIKE ITS NEAR WHERE THE MANIFOLD MEETS THE EXHAUST

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Get a vacuum gauge on it and a timing light.

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
Get a vacuum gauge on it and a timing light.

Ok I will pick up a vaccum gauge and check it. As far a timing my engine is missing the timing metal tab to check the timing for sure. Unless there is another way to check it or reinstall the timing tab

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
IT DOES SOUND LIKE IT MAY HAVE AN EXHAUST LEAK AND KINDA SOUNDS LIKE ITS NEAR WHERE THE MANIFOLD MEETS THE EXHAUST

This will cause the ecm to think its lean and dump more fuel in resulting in the rich exhaust. That can also help mask a vacuum leak because of the extra fuel being added.. A scanner will display the live data like mentioned before, it can also confirm the values are correct for sensor that you suspect to be bad. If a scanner is to expensive you can buy a cable from www.moates.net and download tunerpro rt for free and install it on a laptop.

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
This will cause the ecm to think its lean and dump more fuel in resulting in the rich exhaust. That can also help mask a vacuum leak because of the extra fuel being added.. A scanner will display the live data like mentioned before, it can also confirm the values are correct for sensor that you suspect to be bad. If a scanner is to expensive you can buy a cable from www.moates.net and download tunerpro rt for free and install it on a laptop.

I'll be taking it to exhaust shop soon to get it fixed.

Does anyone have or heard anything about this. http://www.1320electronics.com/12pinALDL.html

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'll be taking it to exhaust shop soon to get it fixed.

Does anyone have or heard anything about this. http://www.1320electronics.com/12pinALDL.html
Thats not much if any cheaper than the moates cable, so unless you dont have a laptop whats the advantage? I cant see trying to use my phone to view all this information and you can log data with tuner pro.
You must be registered for see images attach

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
Thats not much if any cheaper than the moates cable, so unless you dont have a laptop whats the advantage? I cant see trying to use my phone to view all this information and you can log data with tuner pro.
You must be registered for see images attach

Good point!! with that being said one more question. I always shop around for the best product at the best price. I found this one also for a computer . What do you think of this one?? http://www.reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
This is vacuum check from brake booster line. This is cold start for the day.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
This is after its warmed up a little

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media