350 tbi problem???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
When the diagnostic circuit is fried, nothing will happen when you do the paper clip either. There’s not one single way those things can fail, however. It’s strange, though, that it’s doing that. It’s possible that the connector on the tool isn’t reaching serial data, diagnostic data, ground, or some combination of those. You’ve clearly got access to two of those so the fault could very well be with the serial data either on your end of the scan tool’s end. The only way I know to test this is with a homemade tool that only goes between serial data and ground or with another scan tool.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh, yeah. Definitely power. Completely overlooked that one. That’s like trying to make a cake without batter.

Vaughn

Reaction score
First Name
Vaughn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
TBI systems are brutally simple, they aren't that hard to fix.

There are 4 things that directly affect the air fuel ratio. They are the O2 sensor, The CTS, the MAP sensor and fuel pressure.

So far, I haven't heard anyone talk about the MAP sensor, or making sure that the vacuum line going to it is connected right. If the ends of the vacuum line are brittle, cut them off so that they hold onto the MAP sensor - or just replace them with new. If this line is disconnected, the engine will run really rich.

Make sure the vacuum line to the PCV valve is connected, this will cause the engine to idle high and/or cause it to surge. Make sure that the hose to the brake booster is connected also and not cracked. Your engine has a bad vacuum leak, and the above items are the most likely culprits.

CTS - Domestic manufacturers use a temperature of about 200 degrees to determine when the engine goes into closed loop. To make sure of this, you should be using a thermostat of 195 degrees - lower temperature thermostats won't cause the ECM to go into closed loop. If the ECM isn't going into closed loop, the ECM won't read any data from the O2 sensor, and won't make changes to the fuel mixture.

You should check the fuel pressure. GM didn't read fuel pressure via a sensor on the TBI fuel injection systems, but they really should have, because it comes up a lot on TBI systems. The GM spec for tbi systems is 9-13psi. You will need an adapter to read it, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TBI-thrott...978587?hash=item3d26fad81b:g:US0AAOSwQItUJEQZ

The O2 sensor should be on the drivers side exhaust manifold at the back in the collector, except in certain applications. TBI systems only used one, and no O2 sensors after the cat.

A scanner probably won't help you until you fix the trouble codes and/or vacuum leaks. It doesn't help you to know things like the O2 crosscounts, if the system is running rich all the time.

This is a troubleshooting guide for TBI systems:

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/TroubleshootingTBISystems.pdf

JOHN MEADOWS

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton custom 4x4
Engine Size
350 tbi
I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter ( well besides Rusty Nail since he only made jokes lol), After many nights trying to figure out the problem and never did , i posted my truck and its sold. It became for of a headache than anything. So now i must find me another one lol

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Well, that's one way to make a problem go away. Good luck with the search.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter ( well besides Rusty Nail since he only made jokes lol), After many nights trying to figure out the problem and never did , i posted my truck and its sold. It became for of a headache than anything. So now i must find me another one lol

sucks that you couldnt spend the time to resolve the issue but understand the frustration.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hmm, maybe the next guy can whip it. Hopefully they continue your efforts on the TBI rather than going the carb route. That doesn’t sit too well with me in many cases. I also understand the frustration, but I wish it would have worked out for you. Good luck with your hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lepak