350 Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Fortunately, mine is a 2wd auto. What about the bracket mods for the A/C, alt and power steering?

That's pretty much just a spacer over the header on the first bolt hole to make the thickness of an exhaust manifold and done.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So, if I space it correctly, I won't need to cut part of the A/C bracket off for fitment?

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
They make the regular spacer piece for the header. I have one from flow tech I didn't use. It's an extra and really kind of pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the bracket for my 84. I bought it before I went serpentine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yeah, I saw that, too. The instruction sheet indicates where to trim the bracket. Should be easy enough with a grinder wheel (and cheaper, too).

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Can someone recommend a grinding wheel/metal cutting wheel for my power drill that would get the brackets trimmed to where they need to be?

Thanks!

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
OH MAN, AM I STOKED! Got the last of my exhaust today from Flowtech! The dual header kit will make this install a BREEZE! I also bought a pair of Purple Hornies slip-on mufflers. I will have a before and after video to post sometime this weekend. I imagine my truck will sound something like the '85 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yndFuPUJGU

:smokin: :party33:

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, the exhaust took WAY longer than anticipated. I didn't finish it until today. Started Friday afternoon with getting the driver side removed and header installed. I spent all day Saturday removing passenger side manifold and piping and installing rest of exhaust. The complete system is from Flowtech. I bought their Purple Hornies GP's and the truck sounds mean! Too bad I didn't get a video due to gale force winds I've been having today; however, I do have a few pics of the cleaned up engine bay. In addition to the exhaust work, I bought NGK platinum spark plugs and Bosch plug wires.

Over all, I am pleased with the new exhaust. Only thing I wish I could add is a lopy camshaft. I also noticed I have a ticking sound coming from the driver side head. Not sure what it is. I'll try to get a video up soon.

You'll notice that I left the smog pump on. It'll get removed soon.

Anyways, here's a few pics:

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Looks good. Ticking noise is probably a small exhaust leak. Also not sure if you have installed the bracket back yet, but you can use one of the original long bolts with a nut in the middle as a stud to bolt the header on, and then place the bracket over it with another nut.
Here is bracket installed on mine after being trimmed and painted.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
x2 on an exhaust leak being you have headers. On my K1500 just last week. I developed a bad exhaust leak. I left it alone ASSUMING it was probably the flex pipe on the passenger side rotted out since I had to replace the driver side last month. Got under the truck to fix it and low and behold it was NOT the flex pipe. Turned out, missing the back 2 header bolts on the passenger side. Kinda why I hate headers. The bastards always require maintenance. If it's not a collector gasket, it's a header gasket, if not either of those, the damn bolts loosened up or fell out and then of course the burnt up plug wires is a real pain in the ass too. Next time I buy headers, I think I'll wait til I can afford a good $300 set of Hooker or Headmens and not dick around $150 headers. You get what you pay for when it comes to headers. Even the expensive need maintenance but not near as often since the flanges are of much better quality.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Looks good. Ticking noise is probably a small exhaust leak. Also not sure if you have installed the bracket back yet, but you can use one of the original long bolts with a nut in the middle as a stud to bolt the header on, and then place the bracket over it with another nut.
Here is bracket installed on mine after being trimmed and painted.

No, I haven't reinstalled the bracket. In fact, I may not need to. The engine has a bracer bar going from the top of bracket to a mounting point on the intake manifold. I've watched the bracket assy on that side and there is little to no movement with engine running.

I tell you what though, if I were to do this again, it wouldn't happen. Spending 2 full days lying on concrete is agonizing! Next time, I'll have a shop do it.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Bracket needs to be there to provede additional support to power steering pump and to the ac compressor if it is used. I had mine off for few weeks, but put it back before fixing the ac. As far as header leak, I have actually had decent luck with high temp silicone.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Here is a picture of a modified bracket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68