350 Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, I need help locating a pre-built exhaust kit for my truck that will work with long tube headers. JC Whitney dropped the ball with the heartthrob kit. The product page for the kit claims 3-4 days to ship. Well, it has been a week since I ordered the kit and it still hasn't shipped. I spoke with a customer service rep and they claim that large items and exhaust systems can take 10 to 14 days to ship per their policy. I looked for this "policy" and couldn't find anything about what was said.

So, I need help building the last bit of the exhaust. I simply want glass-packs. Any idea as to how long I need an extension from the headers to clear the tranny crossmember? Will a straight pipe from the headers clear the cross member w/o needing bends?

Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you're not waiting then?

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So you're not waiting then?

No, I won't shop at a retailer who lies to their customers. It has been a week since I placed the order with them and no one told me about an extended wait time for the product I purchased when I placed the order.

I spoke with the muffler shop about building a slip on kit and they said they could if I could give them a template. Will straight pipes from the headers not clear the tranny cross member w/o needing bends?

EDIT: Wait a sec, I could use my current exhaust as a template, I suppose. Or even adapt it to the new headers and get the mufflers I want and install them myself. The pipes are not in bad shape, just have to make a few cuts.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
No, I won't shop at a retailer who lies to their customers. It has been a week since I placed the order with them and no one told me about an extended wait time for the product I purchased when I placed the order.

I spoke with the muffler shop about building a slip on kit and they said they could if I could give them a template. Will straight pipes from the headers not clear the tranny cross member w/o needing bends?

EDIT: Wait a sec, I could use my current exhaust as a template, I suppose. Or even adapt it to the new headers and get the mufflers I want and install them myself. The pipes are not in bad shape, just have to make a few cuts.

Jegs or Summit.
go with the magnaflow magna packs if you are set on a glasspack style setup.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think I can adapt my current piping to the headers. Just need to find a 2.5 inch reducer to whatever the current pipe size is.

I've looked at Jegs for an exhaust kit. All I can find are cat-back kits.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That looks enticing. But, I am trying to find the heartthrob kit elsewhere.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, the heartthrob kit is a no go. Got an email from jc Whitney that the kit is out of stock and the manufacturer doesn't have a solution.

I am dumbfounded that no one makes a direct bolt on kit for an older vehicle like mine. Not certain what I will do at this point. May chop up my current system and adapt it to the headers; or, I may just give up and do nothing. Really sucks this common of a process isn't easier than what it is.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That system Jim posted for $135.99 FREE SHIPPING looked pretty good. That was your pipes, then add mufflers of your choice. Or was it complete?

You did seem to be in love with that heartthrob set up. As much as it suxs sometimes, gotta be a bit flexible and willing to consider other options. I'd damn sure used to having to be flexible and make work what I have. I've got 2 different sets of used exhaust that I carefully removed from trucks and I'll end up having to use it sooner or later.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I found a flowtech kit that'll work for my truck. Just gotta figure out if it will mate to the 2.5 inch reducer.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I really don't think you need to worry about. I had 3in collectors on my 2 1/4 pipes. A good exhaust guy will make it happen without even using an adapter.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The pipes from the flowtech kit will mate to 3" collectors w/o reducers. I bought the reducers for the O2 bung. But an exhaust shop should be able to weld one onto the exhaust kit for cheap. Then I can return the reducers and use the money for other gear.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ok, so I got the rest of the exhaust ordered from Flowtech. However, I've been reading the instruction sheet that came with the headers and I'm kinda worried about the install process. What is the most difficult part of the install process I will face? Will I have to modify the stock brackets to adapt to the headers? Will I need to lift the engine, remove starter, or relocate anything else during the install process? Will a 3 day weekend be enough time for a full exhaust install?

I kinda feel like I'm over my head here.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Let's hope what you're reading is Generic header install instructions that pertains to cars too where you pretty much build the car around the headers. That's USUALLY, not a huge issue in our Squares. I'd really think you should be able to get in a morning and afternoon and be cruising by the evening. Then again it depends on the headers and the kit, along with what type of applicaiton it's going in. Manual trans or auto, 2wd or 4wd. 4wd can be a bitch getting up and over the Crossmember while getting around the Tcase. The easiest install is 2wd Automatic.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Let's hope what you're reading is Generic header install instructions that pertains to cars too where you pretty much build the car around the headers. That's USUALLY, not a huge issue in our Squares. I'd really think you should be able to get in a morning and afternoon and be cruising by the evening. Then again it depends on the headers and the kit, along with what type of applicaiton it's going in. Manual trans or auto, 2wd or 4wd. 4wd can be a bitch getting up and over the Crossmember while getting around the Tcase. The easiest install is 2wd Automatic.

Fortunately, mine is a 2wd auto. What about the bracket mods for the A/C, alt and power steering?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68