350 Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, Uncle Sam finally came through with my tax refund. I am now ready to start upgrading my truck. My budget is $2 grand.

Here is a list of upgrades I want done:

* Top-end upgrade: Vortec heads, intake and cam
* Upgrade TBI with ported version plus other related goodies
* Upgrade CPU with a Jet Performance Six-pack chip
* Upgrade exhaust with a mid-length header and glass-pack mufflers

So far, the majority of the expense will be tied up in new heads and intake. I'd like to cut that down some if possible. The other thing about the heads I need to know is how much gear from my stock heads can I transfer to the new heads? I've seen most heads come with valves and springs, but no rockers or rods.

My other concern is the camshaft. Although I am being guided by Comp Cams CamQuest software, I am uncertain how difficult or easy replacing a cam is. To me, it shouldn't be much more involved once the intake manifold is off. I am hoping none of the work will require dropping the oil pan since I had the gasket replaced 6 months ago. Also, seems like any "Great Fit" cam available will require either new springs and/or head machining.

I am trying to recruit my uncle to help me with this project. He's a die-hard drag racer; so his experience should be useful. I know what I wan to do, but I feel like I am way over my head.

Thanks!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
As long as your not going over-board on the cam/heads you should be ok, but sadly my valvetrain and intake is running me right around 700-1k.

When changing anything top end, expect to change the oil, cause theres gonna be debris and coolant that leaks down into the engine crankcase. So other than poping the plug, you dont have to remove the pan.

As far as TB's go, have you considered a big block TB? I happen to know of a big block TB and factory spacer(unsure of what the guys doing with it).

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Have you read any reviews on the Jet chip? Most say they do little or nothing except lighten your wallet.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
As long as your not going over-board on the cam/heads you should be ok, but sadly my valvetrain and intake is running me right around 700-1k.

When changing anything top end, expect to change the oil, cause theres gonna be debris and coolant that leaks down into the engine crankcase. So other than poping the plug, you dont have to remove the pan.

As far as TB's go, have you considered a big block TB? I happen to know of a big block TB and factory spacer(unsure of what the guys doing with it).

I have seen the BB TB's; however, I feel 750 CFM is too much. The more CFM, the more the power curve will be in the upper RPM range. I want to keep the power curve in the mid-range RPM area.

As I was working tonight, I was debating whether to continue using TBI or scrap it for a carb. I think with all the upgrades + a pricey cpu chip, I could save some money with a reman'd carb. That way I could eliminate the CPU altogether.

This project will be slow going. Priority atm is getting the exhaust upgraded and find out how I feel with only that. If the new exhaust satisfies me, I may not pursue any more upgrades an focus on restoration instead.

Unless I or someone else can come up with a cheaper alternative, I intend to purchase this exhaust setup:

* Hedman Street Headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-69010/overview/
* Hedman Comp Header-Back Exhaust Kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-16523hkr/overview/
* A Pair of Cherry Bomb Glass Packs http://www.summitracing.com/parts/imm-87510/overview/

Thanks again!

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
With shorties it wont be as noticable as long tubes as far as power.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Stay away from the JET tune, you will need a custom chip to run the vortec heads, and whatever cam you choose, if it is more than the next step up from stock. Remember, the higher the duration on a cam, means your torque is going to move up the rpm range....not good for a truck. You will need a datalogging cable, laptop, and software(usually free) for the tuning process, unless you can find a tuner locally that can log and tune while you drive.
You will also need to set up a 3 wire heated O2 sensor to use with any headers longer than shory's.
There is a factory GM chip out there that is set up for TBI and vortec heads, but it would require the use of a 94-95 PCM. Thes can be found in some 96 1 ton vans with the 350.

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok im like to start off with an apology cause im not a smart man id sooner spin a wrench then read tech data on how it works I dont own a torque wrench and do everything by trial and error now with that being said im having trouble understanding why one would cam header and intake a sbc only to restrict it with an out dated tbi and emissions control ecu if you goal is to save money on gas then why use performance parts and if your going to cam a truck there are more things to worry about like your trany and rear end like stall, shift points, governor and rear end gear ratio I also dont understand why anything besides the intake would be needed to run vortec heads since the ecu only controls your fuel system and emissions control id like to know where your buying computer controlled push rods
Ok so im not trying to troll your thread I just dont understand some of the information being given so if theres something im missing here or am misinformed please help

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
To the guy who posted this thread I would like to point out another option you can go to a wrecker find a set of camal bump heads cast iron indestructible now if you want to push hp this is a good way to do it so for 250 bucks less you can pick them up now theres some planning thats needed to use them in you truck like they need nuts welded on to the front of your heads for you accessories cause the last thing you want to do is torque your alt off the block and power steering is nice to have so take them in have them port and polished and the nuts welded and reassembled I know this may seem expensive but its not and if you can have a set of race ready heads for under a grand your laughing

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I guess it's pointless to do any upgrading. Change one thing, 10 more things need changing, too. Guess I'll just keep the truck stock and repair as needed.

4-bangers are so much easier to upgrade. Most upgrades are direct bolt ons w/o much need to dissect the engine.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The shop I go to will machine a sbc for about 250 bucks so if I where you id plan way ahead and start a bottom end build you can take your time and spend when you have the cash when its built you do a swap and drop you stroker in down the road hp in a sbc isnt something you just bolt on the top its top and bottom end but knowing what your goal is determines what your budget is going to have to be and understanding that changing one thing will effect everything down your drive train

Last edited:

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Since t his is a performance thread lets also talk about why your going to cam your block now when you put on all that after market stuff like carb headers and fuel pump to run a higher cfm and export the extra exaust it creates just putting on heads like 202s wont really do much without being able to open the valves up long enough to make use of the extra fuel your going to be pumping into it hence the cam now that you have done all of that to a stock truck block get ready for its to run good till it blows up cause your pistons and crank cant handle it now we are talking things like stroke, cylinder pressure and the need for a stout bottom end that can handle the amount torque that you will produce thats why stroking it to a 383 is so popular and lowering the compressio Also it alows for longer down stroke

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Continue
To breath in the extra fuel = higher torque & hp

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
89_3&3: I feel the need to talk about your posts..

Yes 461's used to be THE HEAD, but compared to the votrecs they arnt that peppy, hell a stock vortec outflows a ported 461. Theres no reason he cant put together a top end now and run it for awile, and when it comes time for him to want a new lower end, he will have the top end already.

I have a Bone stock 84 350 that im using as a shortblock, and im running 906 vortecs on top.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im not sure about your whole computer dilema, but if you run a carb, theres no reason you cant upgrade, I would run a 600cfm vacume secondaries carb. Q-jet is your best bet.

89_3&3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
For sure im not knocking the vortec I just pointed out there are other options than the vortec depending on preferences old school/ new school you can push just as much power with either or myself its about what I can get the best deal on if you can get your hands on a cheep set then grab them up as I said it was an option but with that being said the cast iron will handle more heat and last longer so its personal preference

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
For sure im not knocking the vortec I just pointed out there are other options than the vortec depending on preferences old school/ new school you can push just as much power with either or myself its about what I can get the best deal on if you can get your hands on a cheep set then grab them up as I said it was an option but with that being said the cast iron will handle more heat and last longer so its personal preference

906/062's are cast iron. The only Aluminum heads are the GMPP Fastburn heads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486