‘89 Caprice Mini Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Got a build idea for you. Just a thought....

You must be registered for see images attach

Kinda half assed. I KNOW they coulda got a few more shocks under there....

Yikes. Kill it with fire. Actually, kill the bottom part. That’s a really straight body.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
That reminds me of a Caprice I have seen only a couple times. This car is on 26s and its about a foot and a half off the ground and has this bass that you can feel in your chest even when he's far away.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That reminds me of a Caprice I have seen only a couple times. This car is on 26s and its about a foot and a half off the ground and has this bass that you can feel in your chest even when he's far away.

Haha, I think every town has that exact same Caprice.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Came over and worked on the car today. My roommate has some ********* over for Mardi Gras, and I don’t have the stamina to drink and party six nights in a row. One night of serious partying takes care of me for at least a few days up to a few weeks. Anyways, I got a few things done.

First, I did the serpentine belt before I hooked the battery up. This was actually my first serpentine installation. I’ve taken an alternator off a serpentine truck, but I didn’t have to remove the whole thing. All of my experience is with v belts. Nothing too special. I paid extra for the Gates belt because I felt like it’d be worth the peace of mind. It was quite pricey, though.

Second, I changed the oil. This was the worst oil change I’ve ever done. I imagine the oil hasn’t been changed in 10-15 years but still. The filter did not want to come off. I had to use three different wrenches before one helped me loosen it, and I pulled on it so hard that the filter crumpled a bit. It finally came loose, and it all came together after spending way too long on it. I used Castrol GTX 10W30 and an AC Delco PF454 filter. The old oil smelled slightly of varnish and had a musty, old smell to it.

Third, I checked out the trunk and was pissed to find it in a state of disarray. This would’ve happened when my dad had a blow out a few years ago, had to use the spare, and got two new rear tires. I’m guessing the one little ****** mechanic shop in this town did that. I did find the retainer cup that goes on the rear wheel to hold the hubcap on so that saved me $30-$40 on buying a used one from eBay. The bolt was nowhere to be found so I still have to source one of those. Reinstalled the spare, it’s cover, the jacking tools, and made sure the carpeting was right. All of that was messed up when I opened it. I also cleaned the mold off the steering wheel and door handles.

Finally, I checked out the transmission leak situation. It looks like it’s just the pan gasket. I’ve never worked on this car before so I was surprised to find that it had a 200-4R in it. I just assumed it was a 700R4 like mine. The pan also had writing on it, which I’ve not seen before in any of my mechanical fumblings. It’s stylized like this:

Metric
Hydramatic
Div. of GMC

I hope the gasket actually does fix it because servicing this transmission is easier than a 700R4. The grommets for the dipstick and TV cable are not accessible at all. They almost touch the floor pan, and the catalytic converter is totally in the way. Both of those grommets felt supple and were dry unlike the pan gasket so I think I’m okay there.

It’s got a scorching case of the runaway windshield wipers, and it started idling funny so I’m gonna try to diagnose the wipers and check the EGR valve and other emissions related stuff out tomorrow. I’ll also get a filter, a gasket, and fluid for the transmission. Also, the smog pump is screeching when it’s first started. I turned the pulley to verify when I did the belt. I don’t feel like deleting it right now, but the noise sounds like a belt issue when it starts so it’s pretty annoying. @CorvairGeek have you come across this before?

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I have seen a blocked port cause a strange howl from the pump. I wonder if it may have the diverter valve stuck?
I should have mentioned to expect a 200R4 when you said there was a tranny leak. IIRC, all Caprices got the 200R4 from '88-'90 (maybe only '89 - '90) unless it was a 350 (9C1 and outside North America). I remember being appalled seeing it new at the dealer (though it can be great and can be built quite strong). I have always assumed this was done because of the bizarre reasoning to keep the Olds 307 in production in all B-wagons (since mid '86) and the Cadillac Brougham through '90. With the discontinuation of the G-body, there wasn't much need for either of them otherwise. I've always assumed all Caprices got the dual bolt pattern (BOP / Chevy) bell housing to make production easier. Everthing went back to normal in '91, and the 307 Olds and 200R4 were history.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Got a 2004r in my 66 Nova behind a warmed 327 . Has some Grand National stuff in it and works really well. I use mercon in it , so far so good. At 70 the tach reads about 2k..

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have seen a blocked port cause a strange howl from the pump. I wonder if it may have the diverter valve stuck?
I should have mentioned to expect a 200R4 when you said there was a tranny leak. IIRC, all Caprices got the 200R4 from '88-'90 (maybe only '89 - '90) unless it was a 350 (9C1 and outside North America). I remember being appalled seeing it new at the dealer (though it can be great and can be built quite strong). I have always assumed this was done because of the bizarre reasoning to keep the Olds 307 in production in all B-wagons (since mid '86) and the Cadillac Brougham through '90. With the discontinuation of the G-body, there wasn't much need for either of them otherwise. I've always assumed all Caprices got the dual bolt pattern (BOP / Chevy) bell housing to make production easier. Everthing went back to normal in '91, and the 307 Olds and 200R4 were history.

The sound changes volume and only does it for a few seconds. It’ll screech quietly, get really loud, go back to quiet, and then it’s gone. Turning the pulley makes the screech sound, but it only does it during a portion of the revolution. I guess it all gets compounded when it’s moving fast to sound like a constant noise. Everything else with it sounds normal relative to my other smog pumps. It’s weird on this one. The smog pump is a different design, and the diverter sits on top of the valve cover. I guess worst case scenario I can find a delete pulley and I remove it. I’m still halfway hoping it goes away since it and everything else have hardly been used. Do you not like these transmissions? I thought they were based on the TH200, and if that’s the case, that’s not the greatest heritage. I know a 700R4 is better, but I think if I service it properly and don’t go too hard, it should be okay.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Got a 2004r in my 66 Nova behind a warmed 327 . Has some Grand National stuff in it and works really well. I use mercon in it , so far so good. At 70 the tach reads about 2k..

That’s very nice. The feel in the 200-4R vs the 700R4 car or truck is different. Strength notwithstanding, I do like how the 200 feels on the road.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I was under the impression the T-Type and Grand Nationals came with that transmission. Not sure but I have a vague recollection.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I was recalling that the diverter was very different, but I personally hadn't examined exactly how one worked. It's probably unlikely that it can block the air flow completely by design. The situation I saw was a restricted check valve or actually blocked air tubes so it howled when it switched to the manifold.
With the car sitting so long, and the way you describe the feel and sound, it very well may seat-in and be fine.
My view of the 200R4 was more from a historical perspective. GM referred to it as a 3 speed w/OD, because it did evolve from the 200. The 700R4 was always called a 4 speed because it started out that way. (I'm sure you noticed how tiny it looks compared to the 700R4). It was never offered in trucks or Corvettes, and even 4 cylinder F bodies got the 700R4!
It did see performance use in the G-body with the Monte Carlo SS and the Grand National / GNX. I've always assumed the size of the 700R4 made it a poor fit in the G-body floor pan, so GM had to make the 200R4 work. Those had more favorable gearing (for transmission life) than the sub 3.xx in B-bodies too.
History has shown it was a very underrated transmission, and the aftermarket has taken them to shocking strength. I just felt 'cheated' as a young man seeing the same transmission in my beloved car of choice as my grandparents had in their 4.1 V8 RWD DeVille.
In all fairness too, It's not as if the 700R4 was ever bulletproof either.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The noise wasn’t as loud and didn’t happen as long when I ran it today. Fighting the easy stuff yesterday kinda tired me out so it was an uneventful day. I checked for codes because the SES light came on when I was looking over the emissions stuff and checking for vacuum leaks. I couldn’t find a paper clip so I used this little comsmetic tool, and it worked better than anything I’ve used. The diagnostic showed a Code 23 when I disconnected the MAT/IAT sensor to pull the air cleaner. There was also a 54, which I thought was weird. That’s low voltage to the fuel pump. I never saw it do another light besides the one so that was weird. I can hear the fuel pump just fine, and all it does is a little bit of idle hunting when it’s warm. Vacuum is a median 16”, but that fluctuates when the idle speed’s being squirrely. I couldn’t see anything overtly wrong, but I’m gonna have to get more into it next time around. I also checked on the wiper motor. My cell service sucks here so I couldn’t download the ‘86 G Body service manual that I use for my car or one from the square body library. The wiper motors on these cars are pretty similar to the early square body ones. Anyways, even if you unplug everything, the wiper motor keeps going. The only way to turn it off is by pulling the fuse. I decided to pull the front of my Caprice in the hangar to grease the steering and suspension so I took a sibling photo. I’ll get better ones when I fix the transmission leak and pull it outside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy