‘89 Caprice Mini Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
It’s a great motor. Fairly peppy and it runs smooth at any speed and any load. When it ran, it made me jealous, too, because the L69 in my Caprice just doesn’t purr like that at idle. It’s probably a curb idle mixture/curb idle speed issue, but I think the carb’s fine. Would the lines from a ‘91-‘93 work? If I have my facts straight, it’s the same frame and same motor. Are you looking to convert to TBI on yours? This is the ‘84, right?
Yep, for my '84.
I think you are correct about the '91+ until the LT1. The only difference I know of is the fuel tank. I keep dreaming of finding a complete donor.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yep, for my '84.
I think you are correct about the '91+ until the LT1. The only difference I know of is the fuel tank. I keep dreaming of finding a complete donor.

I've kinda tossed around the idea of doing the same thing on mine. I don't think it'd be hard to do. You could probably adapt the CCC harness pretty easily for TBI, run a few extra wires, and the rest would be a cut and dry conversion. I didn't know that about the fuel lines, though. Yuck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've kinda tossed around the idea of doing the same thing on mine. I don't think it'd be hard to do. You could probably adapt the CCC harness pretty easily for TBI, run a few extra wires, and the rest would be a cut and dry conversion. I didn't know that about the fuel lines, though. Yuck.
CCC= Chevys Crappy Carburetor????

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
CCC= Chevys Crappy Carburetor????

Ha, that's probably the majority opinion. Mine does pretty well, and I think Jerry's has treated him well for the most part, but I know that's not everyone's experience. I can't tell if you're being serious or yanking my chain, but just in case you're being a little serious, the CCC stands for Computer Command Control.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ha, that's probably the majority opinion. Mine does pretty well, and I think Jerry's has treated him well for the most part, but I know that's not everyone's experience. I can't tell if you're being serious or yanking my chain, but just in case you're being a little serious, the CCC stands for Computer Command Control.
Of course in messing with ya. Lol

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400

It's been quite amazing, only opened once 20+ years ago for the rusty looking stuff that used to collect in the bowl. Fuel economy and drivability are excellent, in general.
My thoughts now are looking forward before I get into a throttle plate wear issue, but more so the hot weather issue. My early '84 LG4 doesn't even have a fuel pressure return line. That would at least help.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yep, for my '84.

I would pull a tbi system from a 93-95 truck for the swap. It will give you the faster computer, a newer style chip than the older system (may still need to upgrade the socket) and the option of using a 4l60e if the 700r4 ever quits.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I would pull a tbi system from a 93-95 truck for the swap. It will give you the faster computer, a newer style chip than the older system (may still need to upgrade the socket) and the option of using a 4l60e if the 700r4 ever quits.
Sounds like a good plan. I had that in the back of mind as well for my pickup. The unique B-body parts and an intake manifold for the 292 (besides motivation, time and money) have been my hang ups. The truck really needs it more than the car, I just don't drive it as much.
Unlike most folks, I thoroughly enjoy building/changing a wiring harness. I know I would get into some custom tuning with both too, though the LG4 wouldn't be too intense.
The GMT400 selection is great here too, unlike B-bodies.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Cant wait to see this car when's its done.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Got a build idea for you. Just a thought....

You must be registered for see images attach

Kinda half assed. I KNOW they coulda got a few more shocks under there....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc