‘89 Caprice Mini Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
After a couple weeks of being stuck with a broken vehicle and finally getting it fixed in the most hillbilly way possible, I decided to venture out and get something done that I could feel good about. That something was getting my/my dad’s ‘89 Caprice (305 TBI w/ 22,000 original miles) running and taking inventory on what it needed. It hasn’t started in about 3 years, and it had about five, give or take, gallons of fuel in the tank that I wasn’t able to pull out. The vapors in the tank smelled stale, but the fuel hadn’t congealed into varnish yet. Maybe from being kept in a relatively cool place and in complete darkness, I don’t know. I went and got some fresh gas, a new Walmart battery, and cranked it over. It cranked for about ten seconds and came to life. Idled like a dream. Made me jealous. I don’t know of a car that runs so smoothly, especially my Caprice.

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
After a couple weeks of being stuck with a broken vehicle and finally getting it fixed in the most hillbilly way possible, I decided to venture out and get something done that I could feel good about. That something was getting my/my dad’s ‘89 Caprice (305 TBI w/ 22,000 original miles) running and taking inventory on what it needed. It hasn’t started in about 3 years, and it had about five, give or take, gallons of fuel in the tank that I wasn’t able to pull out. The vapors in the tank smelled stale, but the fuel hadn’t congealed into varnish yet. Maybe from being kept in a relatively cool place and in complete darkness, I don’t know. I went and got some fresh gas, a new Walmart battery, and cranked it over. It cranked for about ten seconds and came to life. Idled like a dream. Made me jealous. I don’t know of a car that runs so smoothly, especially my Caprice.

You changed the oil right? Nice lookin car!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I made this thread to make a note of what it needs and keep me accountable for the work I need to do. I’ll never drive it much. I may piddle with it for a few years and do a show car type thing when it’s a little older, I don’t know. Here’s a tentative list of things I need to do:

Serpentine Belt - this is a must because the original is dry-rotted

Oil/Filter Change - absolutely; these two things will occur before I run it for any amount of time

Transmission Pan Gasket - likely because there’s fluid on the floor; I doubt it’s a grommet but anything’s possible

Water Pump/backing gasket - likely because the backing gasket is dry-rotted, and it looks like there may have been coolant streaming out the top weep hole. If I can repair the pump, I will, but it’s a lot easier to replace on this serp setup so no biggie.

These will have to be done before I can even drive it around the block. Now onward!

Bumper filler - definitely; it all dry rotted a long time ago

Tires - definitely for the fronts but hesitant for the backs; the fronts are from like 2005 and the rears are from around 2011, give or take a year. He ran the rears from 1989 until they were changed a few years ago due to being totally rotten, but I know that’s a no-no.

Wheels - The ******* who changed my dad’s tires left a hubcap retainer off one of the rear wheels so I’m gonna have to buy one of those and a bolt for it used. Not cheap, but the last time my dad drove it the cap fell off and ran through someone’s flower bed.

A/C Recharge - yes, whenever the time comes; I hope the compressor isn’t all leaky from sitting for the better part of 29 years, but I’m not too optimistic there.

Fuel Gauge Inaccurate - I’m really hoping it’s the ground, which is an easy fix, but if not, it’s the sender. The pump will stay because it’s pretty new and seems to be working fine. The fuel filter is also fairly new. Both were replaced about 250 miles ago in 2010.

Speakers - I gotta have my tunes. I can squeeze 4” ones into the dash, and 6.5” ones in the rear deck really easily, and those cost me $70 on Crutchfield for my other Caprice.

Clean up and paint battery tray and the inner fender area that it sits on top of. Every Caprice I’ve ever seen loves to rust here all the way through the tray and wheel well - probably from battery acid

That’s all that caught my eye yesterday or has done so over the years. It’ll be something I do at night on the weekends when I can muster the energy from working in the yard or in/on the house. That’s not including the stuff that I have to do on my rigs that comes up now and then.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Carryover pics... Also @Big Chip, do you want that sexy A36 back there? That fuselage, tail surfaces, wings, and motor pieces take up 40% of the space in that hangar, and I want to clean it up, but there’s no point with 300 pieces of airplane there. I’m kidding about you taking it, but if you know someone who would instead of seeing it and running away like the last guy, that’d help me a bunch.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You changed the oil right? Nice lookin car!

No, I didn’t. I know that’s a big no-no, but I was running out of time and could only do the basics. I’ll only run it long enough to get it on ramps and change that next time.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Carryover pics... Also @Big Chip, do you want that sexy A36 back there? That fuselage, tail surfaces, wings, and motor pieces take up 40% of the space in that hangar, and I want to clean it up, but there’s no point with 300 pieces of airplane there. I’m kidding about you taking it, but if you know someone who would instead of seeing it and running away like the last guy, that’d help me a bunch.

What's the story with it?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Well there is only 1 wing tip shown the other could be a mangled mess.
The fuselage looked ok but it kind of looks like a new engine cradle. You may be right about the crash. He told me a little about that plane (I think it was that one) but I don't recall. I think his dad bought it but I thought he flew it.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It was in Hurricane Katrina. My dad bought it from an equipement auction in 2004 and lost it the next year. He took the wings off, took the engine out and apart, the interior is gutted of the upholstery, adornments, etc., the tail surfaces have been removed... It’s pretty much a scrap/salvage plane. It does have some parts that are in good shape, and it’s not all corroded. The fuselage looks like it could be saved and maybe some here and there big pieces. One of the wings is destroyed, and another is damaged but mostly in tact. I’m no expert, but shouldn’t all that be worth a couple grand even in that shape? Plus, there’s the 210. I really think I need to get rid of that, too, and the money needs to go into the house. It’s just gonna sit there forever. Even if I flew, which I really want to do sooner rather than later, I’d never feel comfortable in a 210. There’re also some miscellaneous parts laying around like a McCaulley spinner, avionics, some P35 wingtips. Finally, there’s a Jet A fuel station in there. I’d sell it to an FBO who wouldn’t just part it out for the pump, but I imagine the market for a self-serve Jet A fuel station is very limited. @Big Chip

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
my mom was issued a third gen caprice like this for a couple years before they switched to the fourth gen body style. she had two fourth gens, too. her 1996 caprice was actually a pretty nice car. not sure if they even upped the horsepower with the police package, but it felt quick enough when I was a kid. my mom has never been picky about cars, but she was disappointed when they gave her a crown vic. she wanted her caprice back. I don't remember much about the 3rd gen though because my pops had a 87 Monte Carlo SS that he was issued around the same time in narcotics. I thought that car was the coolest thing ever when I was little. nothing like jumping train tracks in a car you don't have to pay for.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My dad bought a '79 Caprice new, so that's what I grew up with and one reason I really like these cars.

And that broken plane needs wedged up in a big old oak tree, then scatter the loose parts about the ground below it. That would be a great conversation starter.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My dad bought a '79 Caprice new, so that's what I grew up with and one reason I really like these cars.

And that broken plane needs wedged up in a big old oak tree, then scatter the loose parts about the ground below it. That would be a great conversation starter.
Oh hell yeah

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My mom had a 2 door with the funky back window. Black and grey with maroon interior. I loved that car. Was thinking of buying one befor I got the V10 to put my engine in. I was quickly slapped back to reality. Those things are pricey even relatively ****** ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20