WTF are these wires for??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
While putting in my new temp sensor harness on the front of the intake I found another unplugged harness. I couldn't even begin to tell you what the harness looked like, since it looks like it layed on the exhaust manifold or something and melted it into a glob. What caught my eye about it is the wire colors. It has 2 wires. 1 it black w/ white stripe, and the 2nd is solid yellow. My temp sensor uses a 2 wire solid black and solid yellow wires. I thought it might have been for that but no Ohms showing up. It's laying on the passenger side of the TBI. Any ideas?? I can't find it in any Schematic and it's a factory harness.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like the temp sensor wires for an electric fan, meaning it would be sending signal to a relay, not putting out any ohms/volts/amps.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
After looking at the wiring diagram on pg 385 Haynes manual for 81-87 computer control wiring system there is a black wire and yellow wire going to a coolant temp sensor.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
The temp sensor I thought was for the electric fan is in the passenger side head and it only has 1 wire. I took the wire off and grounded to the head and the electric fan relay clicked on. Although my fan is locked up I figured that was the correct wire for the fan. I recently learned that my truck has had an aftermarket crate motor put in it at some point. I wonder if someone converted it to an older type sensor when they did that? The sensor in it now for the ECM has a yellow and black wired harness but it's correctly hooked up.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like the wires you found have been bypassed then, I wouldnt worry about them, maybe trace them back, clip and tape them up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub