Would you use new old maintenance parts/carb kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
No. All gaskets were and are perfectly fine still.
lol, even when those gaskets were new, you soaked them in water. it would swell them so the bolt holes would line up and you could install without tearing!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've bought NOS parts from Autozone and Rock Auto. All were in beat-up boxes, and some had light surface rust, but they were functionally perfect. And made in the USA by Moog, Wagner, etc!

Also got lots of gaskets from Rock Auto, including Fel-Pro brand, for small block water pump, t-stat housing, fuel pump, etc, usually for 10-20 cents on the dollar!

They occasionally send me e-mails about "wholesaler closeout" specials and "private label" parts like the CarQuest master cylinder I bought that is USA made. I even see internal engine parts, such as a single piston, single rod bearing, etc. I think they must buy inventories from parts stores that went out of business, including a bunch in dusty old boxes with faded printing.

Right now, I see an 82 passenger-side power window regulator for $15.17. It's Dorman 740516. May not be USA-made, but probably the same as most others costing $40 or more.
Yep they buy parts store inventories when they close up shops. You will find parts that are easily 10-30 years old . I have bought some really good cheap close out parts for m them.

I bought a set of NOS shocks off eBay from some seller that did the same thing. They were for lifted squares and I got them for about half of what they should cost . These looked like the shocks I sold when I worked in the parts business twenty years ago. Exact boxes and color scheme.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
lol, even when those gaskets were new, you soaked them in water. it would swell them so the bolt holes would line up and you could install without tearing!

I don't know about that. They aren't just plain paper gaskets.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
The only ones we ever soaked were the cork valve cover gaskets.

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
The only ones we ever soaked were the cork valve cover gaskets.
yep, all the cork gaskets shrunk as they dried out in the cardboard packages. build a motor tomorrow / drop gaskets in water tonight! then, there were my favorite rope and tar main seals!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512