Won,t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david468

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Oh I see, I read the part about it turning over but not starting... when a wire is run from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Is the ignition turned on when you jump the stater solenoid?

Hi yes it is wait 30 min she starts ? David

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What's the engine temps when this starts to happen? Sounds like an ignition problem, either pickup coil, ignition module or main coil getting too hot and failing. I believe the ignition module comes with some stuff that goes under it to protect it from heat.

EDIT just re-read the part about "race trans" if the engine has been modified, has high compression with a stock starter it could be suffering from heat soak, you may need a high torque mini starter if it is dragging. Might also be why the ignition module is crapping out, high compression engines run hotter if they're not in their powerband. Need to know some specs about the engine, what cam it has, compression ratio, any mods. If you don't know what cam, does it sound really lopey or choppy at idle? Do you have headers without any heat shield on the starter?

Last edited:

david468

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Oh I see, I read the part about it turning over but not starting... when a wire is run from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Is the ignition turned on when you jump the stater solenoid?

yes ignition on so that takes battery and starter out of the loop.David

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi turn key fuel pump primes but wont start wait 30 min to 1 hr starts like nothing wrong ? David

Ok, so it cranks BY key(turns over, rolls over) but does not catch, right?
And this AFTER driving it?

david468

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ok, so it cranks BY key(turns over, rolls over) but does not catch, right?
And this AFTER driving it?

Hi after 30 min turn off come back to start hear fuel pump turn key all the way nothing wait 1 hr it starts

david468

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What's the engine temps when this starts to happen? Sounds like an ignition problem, either pickup coil, ignition module or main coil getting too hot and failing. I believe the ignition module comes with some stuff that goes under it to protect it from heat.

EDIT just re-read the part about "race trans" if the engine has been modified, has high compression with a stock starter it could be suffering from heat soak, you may need a high torque mini starter if it is dragging. Might also be why the ignition module is crapping out, high compression engines run hotter if they're not in their powerband. Need to know some specs about the engine, what cam it has, compression ratio, any mods. If you don't know what cam, does it sound really lopey or choppy at idle? Do you have headers without any heat shield on the starter?

Hi the only race is trans stock 350/throttle body drive it 30 min it dont start hear fuel pump turn key all the way nothing wait 1 hr starts like nothing wrong David

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Man it's hard to decipher what the problem is the way you write, are you saying you turn the key all the way and the starter does not kick on?? Or the engine turns over but wont fire up?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard fuel pumps start going out this way. Next time it won't start, hit a shot of quick start in the air cleaner, if it starts, then goes, back off.. I'd consider checking the fuel system.

david468

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I had to fix that^^^^^
First of all, welcome to GMSB!
Has your truck been modified at all, or is it stock?
Old battery cables, and dirty terminals, both on the battery and starter, will cause heat related starting issues.
If you have the funds to do so, I would go ahead and buy a new positive, and negative cable, and see if that cures the problem. There is a bolt hole on the front of the passenger side head that would be a perfect place to relocate the ground cable to.
A ground cable with a few brocken strands, and corrosion, is like a kinkedngarden hose.
It wouldn't hurt to see if you can re-torque your starter bolts as well.

ok i made battery cables out of 02 ot welding cable i will try torquing starter David

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub