Won’t Turn Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
78 gmc, no issues when parked but I have since removed the doors, front fenders , hood, grille & light assemblies for restoration. Tried to get it running to move it out of my garage but can’t get anything when I turn the key. The gauge cluster & everything else is uninstalled so I figure there’s a neutral safety switch somewhere to bypass possibly. I’ve got power at the fuse box.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
78 gmc, no issues when parked but I have since removed the doors, front fenders , hood, grille & light assemblies for restoration. Tried to get it running to move it out of my garage but can’t get anything when I turn the key. The gauge cluster & everything else is uninstalled so I figure there’s a neutral safety switch somewhere to bypass possibly. I’ve got power at the fuse box.
Did you ever have it running? If the engine does run and is in time,to start it to get it out of the garage you can unplug the 12v wire to the HEI make a jumper wire from the battery positive to the HEI, the use a remote start switch at the starter solenoid or short the solenoid,if you know how. It will start and run until you take your jumper off the battery.

Tommy

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes ran fine when parked.

Tommy

Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
How would I make a remote starter switch?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Neutral safety switch is up on the column near the dash. Find the purple wire and use a jumper across it.

Remote starter
First run 12 volts to the HEI bat terminal so the ignition is powered.
Then you go to the solenoid on the starter and use a wire between the large terminal where the battery cable connects, and the small wire coming from the ignition switch.
You can just hold the jumper across the two terminals, or get alligator clips and a push button switch to make an actual remote starter switch.
Don’t forget - that large starter terminal is unfused 12 volts from the battery. Be careful to not ground it.

Reactions: WFO