Wobble wobble wobble, rear axle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey1986Z

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello! My second post here!

1984 K10 4X4.

My virtually stock K10 has more or less been parked for 4 years. Mainly due to a wobble that intermittently occurs. I believe, but not certain, that it is coming from the right rear axle/wheel. It sometimes does not happen at all, but occurs worst from 20 to 45 mph and may level out after that, but can occur any speed above 0. I have rotated my tires and even put the spare on and it does not help any. It does not whine like the axle bearing is shot. The truck has 124,000 miles and the rear axle has not had a bearing replaced or anything done to it.

Thanks!

Joey

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Sounds like death wobble to me, check all your front ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks and steering stabilizer. Do you have a two piece rear driveshaft? If so check the carrier bearing, I have had those cause horrible vibrations also. Does it feel like the whole truck is hopping when the wobble occurs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I just delt with this problem. First thing I did was put a different set of wheels/tires on the truck if it still does it you know thats not the issue, next thing I did was with no wheel on the rear of the truck I put it up on jack stands and put it in drive to see if I noticed any visible wobbles

Joey1986Z

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, I will look into that. Death wobble, yes. I am afraid to drive it, but need to as my car will be out for a while (trans needs rebuilding). It does seem to hop when it does it. I did have a guy following me one day tell me it looked like the back tire was about to shake off the truck. I will check all the things mentioned, but will, as my budget allows, change the shocks and then maybe ball joints, tie rod ends, etc, as none of these things have been changed. Can totally shot shocks cause this?

I assume I have a one piece driveshaft.

I've had this truck since new, and it has not been aggressively driven off road. Just rutted hunting roads driven over slowly.

Thanks!

Joey

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Thanks, I will look into that. Death wobble, yes. I am afraid to drive it, but need to as my car will be out for a while (trans needs rebuilding). It does seem to hop when it does it. I did have a guy following me one day tell me it looked like the back tire was about to shake off the truck. I will check all the things mentioned, but will, as my budget allows, change the shocks and then maybe ball joints, tie rod ends, etc, as none of these things have been changed. Can totally shot shocks cause this?

I assume I have a one piece driveshaft.

I've had this truck since new, and it has not been aggressively driven off road. Just rutted hunting roads driven over slowly.

Thanks!

Joey

Before you go changing all these parts it sounds like you have a bent rim and I had a truck with a death wobble there is a clear way to tell the difference from front to back....when you drivng and you let go of the wheel if the steering wheel is shaking back and forth then your front end is shaking if you just feel a vibratino and your tailgate is wobbling then its the rear

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Before you go changing all these parts it sounds like you have a bent rim and I had a truck with a death wobble there is a clear way to tell the difference from front to back....when you drivng and you let go of the wheel if the steering wheel is shaking back and forth then your front end is shaking if you just feel a vibratino and your tailgate is wobbling then its the rear

Good point, I was merely saying to check them out, not just go replacing stuff.

Joey1986Z

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I did not convey my message well.

I do plan to change the shocks. The 30 year old, 124,000 mile OEM shocks have not been replaced. So they are long overdue? Yes?

I will check the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. How do you do that? Jack a wheel off the ground and wiggle?

I recently had a friend with a 2001 2WD S10 Blazer with 200K have a ball joint break while turning in a parking lot. Luckily that is where the failure occurred and not on the road at highway speeds.

v2500burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
350ci
I have any issue similar to this
But I thing mine is a need for shocks and steering stabilizer.
Shocks are original... On 50k miles but 23yrs old
It's time!!!

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I guess I did not convey my message well.

I do plan to change the shocks. The 30 year old, 124,000 mile OEM shocks have not been replaced. So they are long overdue? Yes?

I will check the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. How do you do that? Jack a wheel off the ground and wiggle?

I recently had a friend with a 2001 2WD S10 Blazer with 200K have a ball joint break while turning in a parking lot. Luckily that is where the failure occurred and not on the road at highway speeds.

Shocks are probably due lol. On the ball joints an tie rod ends, you are correct, just jack up the front of the truck and wiggle stuff looking for play in them, I use a small pry bar on the steering knuckle and just try to wiggle it around, if it doesn't move your good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500