wipers question. didn't know where else to post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
so i wanted to take off my wipers to then take off the metal piece that covers the AC intake thing (what's it called?). point is i can't get the wipers off. anyone know any tricks/ideas?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you talking of the Cowl that goes across the front of the windshield??? Are you trying to remove just the wipers, or the complete arm assembly???

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Removal & Installation

1.Pull outer end of arm away from glass which will trip lock spring at base of arm and release spring from undercut of pivot shaft (drive).

2.While holding arm in this position, pull outward on cap Section at base of arm to remove arm.

3.To install, reverse the procedure.

The body part that you asked about (and can easily scratch when prying off the wiper arms) is officially called:

PANEL. Cowl Ventilator

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey Jerry, how did I miss you coming in to GMSB??? Welcome aboard.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
thnaks guys. yeah i'm just trying to take the wipers and cowl off so i can repaint the cowl and i'm also suspecting that theres a leak somewhere under the cowl that leaks into the cab

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hey Jerry, how did I miss you coming in to GMSB??? Welcome aboard.

Thanks, nice to be back.

After I burnt my truck to the frame

You must be registered for see images attach

(along with my neighbor's garage to the ground and all my "up north" shop tools) I swore off the old GM trucks.

Became a Saab 9000"expert" out of necessity- 3 kids with 3 Saab 9000's.

But I couldn't resist the square body design. As I looked for a replacement truck, nothing else (even a brand new truck) compared. So I came back.

Recently picked up a 1 ton, single axle 86 base model Sierra. 10,200 GVW, 10.5"/4:11 full float rear axle and a dana 60 front end. It was a dog at first but it's coming along pretty well.

I have everything on hand to upgrade it to a Sierra Classic - but it will never be "Big Blackie".

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
i'm also suspecting that theres a leak somewhere under the cowl that leaks into the cab

With A/C or without?

All the time or just during heavy rain?

BTW - Here's a couple of hints on wiper arm R&R (esp. if you are going to put a nice finish on the cowl):

1. Before you pull the arms (and with the wipers in the normal parked position) use a Sharpie or a piece of tape and mark the position of the wiper blade tip on the windshield. Nothing worse than getting all done and then finding out that the wipers park on the rubber or half way up the glass.

2. While the arms are off the drive spindles, thoroughly clean the splines. Use a toothbrush sized stainless steel wire brush and get all the debris out of the grooves in both ID of the wiper arm base and the OD of drive spindle itself. Apply a tiny bit of Never-sieze to the spline to aid in future removals - usually because you did not read the first hint.

3. Use this opportunity to recondition your arms. Believe it or not, one of the biggest detractors from the overall first impression of a vehicle is a pair of chipped and or rusted wiper arms. For some reason people's eyes go right to them.

Take the time to sand out any chips or rust spots. When you get them smoothed out wash in warm soapy water and rinse well. Dry and wipe down with acetone or MEK. Coat with a flat black trim paint. Sem "Trim Black" is great but expensive, lately I've been using Duplicolor's black trim paint. It's cheaper and has been working well.

After they are completely dry (4-6 hrs) put them in the oven and bake the finish on. For the first couple of hours, use LOW LOW heat - as low as your oven can go - 175degrees. After that crank it up to 250 and let them bake for 4-5 more hours.

They'll look real nice - and will stay that way.

Have a rubber mallet on hand when re-installing your wiper arms. Trust me!

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
with a/c and its even with a light sprinkle rain. the leak in the cab seems to be coming from behind the a/c mount which is why i suspect that its from under the cowl. i'm worried i'm gonna find a lot fo rust cuz my truck sat for a couple of years before i bought it. and thanks for the tips on the wipers, although currently my wipers are polished (i think stainless steel or aluminum). should i still go to black finish?

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
There is a metal tab that you will need to port out to the side while holding threw wiper arm away from the windshield as well.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good chance that the drain hole at the bottom of the evaporator casing is plugged. With the A/C running (especially during high humidity conditions) there is a considerable amount of condensation produced as the cabin air is cooled.

These droplets of water that form on the fins of the evap coil eventually run off the fins and drop down to the bottom of the casing. There is a hole on the bottom of the case at the low point to allow this water to drain onto the pavement.

Find the hole and make sure it's clear. If it isn't, you can poke a wire up and twist it around till the trapped water starts to drain (alternately you can blow it out with compressed air).

The weep hole will be on the bottom of the plastic box that is in the engine compartment up against the firewall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek87