Wiper help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

namkyoo98

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I installed left front fender on my truck that I bought at the local salvage yard. It came with the windshield washer fluid bottle so I left that on. But now my wipers won't turn off. I have to turn the lever forward and let it go when the wipers go down to get them to turn off. ANy ideas?? The washer pump attached to the bottle wouldn't cause this would it? My truck is an 86 K10 Silverado
Thanks in advance for any advice
:Stupid Me:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

This should be your wiper motor:

A permanent magnet type wiper is used on CK and G Series. The motor parts-field magnets, armature, drive gear etc. are enclosed in a two piece sheet metal housing. For purposes of explanation the housing halves are referred to as upper and lower housing. The two housings are attached to each other by ten extrusions which are staked over.

The wiper motor is protected by an automatic reset type circuit breaker located on the motor brush holder assembly. A fuse located in the fuse block protects the vehicle wiring.

The wiper motor can be operated only when the ignition switch is in the "run" or "accessory" position.

The wiper motor has three brushes; the "common" the low speed, and the high speed. When the ignition switch is "ON," power is applied to the common brush. The low speed and high speed brushes are connected to their respective ground via the control switch. When the control switch is positioned at "HI" or "LO" speed, a ground path is connected to the high or low speed brush in the motor. The motor runs at the switch selected speed.

In order to have the wiper blades stop in their normal park position and the wiper motor shut off properly, the motor must run in LO speed. When the control switch is moved to the OFF position, the low speed brush circuit goes through a park switch located in the gear housing and then to ground at the control switch. The park switch is normally closed and this allows the wiper to keep running. When the wiper blades reach their park position, the cam on the gear opens the normally closed park switch, which turns off the wiper.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I knew you was going to post Jerry. :D

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Bingo - I can overlook a lot of nuisances, but not when it comes to the windshield wipers.

Seeing a need, I did extensive research on wiper problems and made it my personal mission to help others.

I know how to pick my battles - keep it to the simple and small. For example, you won't find me offering any advice on a transmission rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486