Which Wiring Harness Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19kilo76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
Ok wiring harness question. I have the frame and engine from a 76 K10. I purchased two rolling chassis parts trucks (for $500 total) 81 and 85. Both cabs are in great condition. What wiring harness do I go with in regards to the engine cab? I am probably going to go with the 81 cab. Any advice regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, the 81 does not have a title but the 85 does. I might us all I can off the 81 and keep the 85 for a future build with my son. He wants to lower a square body, I don't plus I have a K10. you don't lower a k10! LOL

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I would choose the harness that is in a best shape and use gauges/switches that go with it. I did 91 harness in my old 85 and used the gauges and sensors from 91. Your wiper and high beam switches will move location. Steering column can be swapped as well

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I'd consider the 1985 cab if they are both in good shape.
The 1985+ washer pump in the reservoir is less expensive than the earlier gear driven pump.
Creature comforts like intermittent wipers are easier to add to the 1985+ stalk controlled wiper setup and the later pulse switch is a bit more reliable.
I believe the AC controls on the 1985+ cabs are vacuum controlled.

The wiring and service manuals are in the library. 1981 wiring is in the back of the service manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man