Which tranny should i run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Heres another option for me, any estimating when its going to up for sale? I see what you mean with bad timing...

There's really no telling with all the **** I have going on, fundage being an issue, and finding the parts I need to do the swap. In the meantime, I can also be looking for another adapter while I'm looking for clutch pedals and build another Th350 for 700r4/NP208 Conversion too.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Called up the trans shop again and they said they will put the 2wd shaft in but they won't supply the adapter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Called up the trans shop again and they said they will put the 2wd shaft in but they won't supply the adapter.

That's cool. And they'd cut off you too, or let you do it. I showed how to do it in my thread. Really it's simple with a chop saw. Trick was, just to go slow but steady so it didn't overheat the shaft. I don't even think it took over a minute to cut off.

Once that is done then you just need to find the adapter in a junkyard or off another transmission.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
LOL, right now i have a th350/203 and im trying to do the complete opposite. I want a 700r4/203. Going from a 700r4 to a th350 is going to bring the rpm of the engine up, in turn, your gonna burn more fuel going the same speed.

There are a lot more factors than just rpm. If your logic were accurate, we would all be driving 2.56 geared trucks on 44A.D. Reality is, if the rpm is too low, you will lug the engine, and economy goes to ****.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
There are a lot more factors than just rpm. If your logic were accurate, we would all be driving 2.56 geared trucks on 44A.D. Reality is, if the rpm is too low, you will lug the engine, and economy goes to ****.

True, but i never said 2.56's and also im getting alot better with 3.08's than my 4.11's. Hasnt lugged down my 355. Ive actually spun up my tires on the 3.08's

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Just went to the extreme with your logic. 3.08 gears are not enough for any truck with a 700r4, much less one with a truck sized tire, or bigger tires.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Just went to the extreme with your logic. 3.08 gears are not enough for any truck with a 700r4, much less one with a truck sized tire, or bigger tires.

Ok for 1, i was never planning on going 3.08's with a 700r4. Atm, i have a th350 with 3.08's. When i go to the 700r4, i will be going back to my 4.11's.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Ok for 1, i was never planning on going 3.08's with a 700r4. Atm, i have a th350 with 3.08's. When i go to the 700r4, i will be going back to my 4.11's.

sure hope that isn't an attitude I am sensing there. Greasedog was just trying to help you out, IMHO 3.08's aren't enough for a TH350. No matter what Transmission you have IMHO i believe a full size truck should have ATLEAST 3.42's on STOCK SIZED TIRES.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
sure hope that isn't an attitude I am sensing there. Greasedog was just trying to help you out, IMHO 3.08's aren't enough for a TH350. No matter what Transmission you have IMHO i believe a full size truck should have ATLEAST 3.42's on STOCK SIZED TIRES.

It is :D, and my engine helps compensate with power(10:1 flat tops, mild cam, etc.....) Honestly, my truck is like "oh look, a set of gears, no problem" .

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
It is :D, and my engine helps compensate with power(10:1 flat tops, mild cam, etc.....) Honestly, my truck is like "oh look, a set of gears, no problem" .

Well in that case. Your IGNORANCE is a sign of your AGE.
Does NOT make a damn just how much motor you have, evidently you don't understand Automatic Transmission's. So here's a free lesson for you.

Automatic Transmissions 101:

1. 9/10 Transmissions fail due to heat. That is NOT an estimate nor is it my opinion, It is a PROVEN FACT!!!!!!!

Transmission Temperature is effected by 3 major variables. Care to guess which one your transmission is going to fail from?????
1. Fluid Condition
2. Cooling capabilities
3. Transmission slip %

Transmission fluid breaks down over time for a few different reasons, such as Poor Maintenance, Improper cooling capabilities (HEAT). As the fluid Breaks down it looses its lubricating properties, which in turn WILL cause excessive slip (HEAT).

Transmission Coolers are only half the battle to having a long lived Transmission. As fluid breaks down and passes through the cooler, it leaves behind tiny particles inside the cooler. These tiny particles will reduce the cooling efficiency of the cooler, in Return this WILL cause Transmission Temperatures to increase.

Transmission Slip %, is the other half of the battle for a long lived Transmission. The secret to the Right amount of Slip is NOT in how much power your engine has, actually it is the exact opposite. The way to Lower the Transmission slip percentage is, FINAL DRIVE RATIO. Higher gear ratio's cause EXSESIVE SLIP (HEAT). The same is true for wider tires.

MIGHT I SUGGEST THE NEXT TIME YOU MAKE A THREAD ASKING FOR HELP TO FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW. AND LISTEN TO WHAT OTHERS ARE TRYING TO TEACH YOU, OTHERWISE WHEN YOU NEED HELP THE NEXT TIME PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER JUST WHAT KIND OF A DICK YOU WERE THE LAST TIME AND WILL NOT EVEN CARE TO ENTERTAIN YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well in that case. Your IGNORANCE is a sign of your AGE.
Does NOT make a damn just how much motor you have, evidently you don't understand Automatic Transmission's. So here's a free lesson for you.

Automatic Transmissions 101:

1. 9/10 Transmissions fail due to heat. That is NOT an estimate nor is it my opinion, It is a PROVEN FACT!!!!!!!

Transmission Temperature is effected by 3 major variables. Care to guess which one your transmission is going to fail from?????
1. Fluid Condition
2. Cooling capabilities
3. Transmission slip %

Transmission fluid breaks down over time for a few different reasons, such as Poor Maintenance, Improper cooling capabilities (HEAT). As the fluid Breaks down it looses its lubricating properties, which in turn WILL cause excessive slip (HEAT).

Transmission Coolers are only half the battle to having a long lived Transmission. As fluid breaks down and passes through the cooler, it leaves behind tiny particles inside the cooler. These tiny particles will reduce the cooling efficiency of the cooler, in Return this WILL cause Transmission Temperatures to increase.

Transmission Slip %, is the other half of the battle for a long lived Transmission. The secret to the Right amount of Slip is NOT in how much power your engine has, actually it is the exact opposite. The way to Lower the Transmission slip percentage is, FINAL DRIVE RATIO. Higher gear ratio's cause EXSESIVE SLIP (HEAT). The same is true for wider tires.

MIGHT I SUGGEST THE NEXT TIME YOU MAKE A THREAD ASKING FOR HELP TO FORGET EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW. AND LISTEN TO WHAT OTHERS ARE TRYING TO TEACH YOU, OTHERWISE WHEN YOU NEED HELP THE NEXT TIME PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER JUST WHAT KIND OF A DICK YOU WERE THE LAST TIME AND WILL NOT EVEN CARE TO ENTERTAIN YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll agree with with all that but 1 thing, and it's the same with motor oil. Oil Companies use these terms, "Break Down" to claim their oil has better properties than their competitors, and to make recommendations on EARLY change intervals so you will spend more of your money to buy new oils and fluids. Just like Motor Oil, ATF DOES NOT "Break Down". What it does do is become diluted and contaminated. By diluted, this can be from water caused by condensation in the crankcase or the transmission pan. Keeping your fluid levels to proper leverls helps in condensation since that leave less space in the pans to be able to condensate, and even then the risk is very small except in extreme cold weather where the after the motor or trans oils are very hot or warn, the pans thin metal that is not covered with oil inside cools rapidly creating sweat inside the pan. Contamination comes from bearing wear and combustion in a motor that is able to sneak past the rings and get into the crankcase, so a new motor with good rings is obviously to contaminate much less than a motor with very well worn rings. IN A TRANSMISSION, what contaminates the fluid is thrust washer and bushing wear of extremely fine particles that are caught easily in dacron or screen filters AND WORN CLUTCH material that become sludge and mud caused from CLUTCH SLIPPAGE which generates even more heat, then more slippage, then more heat and so on. Consider Clutch slippage as a snowball affect. Once it starts, the damage is being done, the fluid is becoming contaminated, and the life span of the transmission is decreasing rapidly. Contaminated fluid also retains heat longer because it loses it's heat discipation capability. Point is, Oils and Fluids DO NOT "Break Down". There is a Cause and Effect. Prevent the Cause, you don't have the affect. In this case, keep the trans from getting to hot, and clutches from slipping which is CAUSED by things like taller gears, bigger tires, more wind resistance and heavier weight that a full size truck has over a passenger car, and you won't get the EFFECT which leads to a short lived transmission.

In a perfect scenario you would NEVER have to change your fluids because they NEVER "Break Down". But, you can't get around dilution and contamination. You can however limit dilution and contamination and with good quality filtration keep most of the contaminants out of your fluids for a very long life. Keeping your fluids clean, also drastically slows down the wear process and that in itself also helps keeps your fluids clean. Once you allow the fluids to become over diluted now the process again works like the snowball effect.

Keep a trans from slipping clutches and getting hot, it will last forever up until the point of thrust washer and bushing wear come to a point where shafts go catty whompus, or drums start tipping and riding center on shafts due to bushing wear and then a catastrophic failure happens eventually. Do you know how long that would take? Put it this way, many builders don't even replace most bushings or thrust washers when they do a rebuild. You're lucky if they'll replace Common Wear Bushings. Point is, even our clutches and seals can last a very very long time. But, it's not going to happen in a full size truck with 3.08 rear gears, not even in a 2013 year model, not even with a big trans cooler, and not even if you don't tow.

Chances are though, tha 3.08's will serve your purpose so long as you're not carrying heavy loads and towing and you're probably OK with it's transmission life expectancy too. In a real world guesstimation, with 3.08's and no towing you can expect about 80,000-100,000 mile life from a Turbo 350 in a full size truck so long as you're not abusing it. Where as if you had the 4.10's you could probably expect 150,000-200,000 miles depending on how often you DID carry and tow loads, because you CAN carry and tow loads and do minimal wear. If you didn't carry or tow loads with 4.10's, and the transmission never sat for long periods of time allowing seals to get hard, you could probably expect 250,000-300,000 miles out of it.

In your case though, I get it. You had the 3.08's axles at hand for no charge, so you've sacrificed gear ratio for fuel mileage, and also have intent to do an OD trans swap and back to the low gears, so it's really no big deal so long as the trans lasts until you get to your point of your swap, and the 3.08's are a temporary thing. Not everyone knows that because I'm sure they didn't read the entire thread and they don't visit daily, but fact is, they are giving accurate sound advice. Just not for your temporary situation.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The 3 best trans guys on the forum (Greasedog, oneluckypops & HotRodPC) have all posted on this last page and you may not realize that fact. You should drop all your old wive's tales you've been holding onto and listen to what they have to say. An engine has an optimum operating range around 2,000 rpms, depending on how it is set up. Lower rpms wont improve mpgs, but lower rpms will hurt your trans. Personally if I sense attitude from someone I'm trying to help I drop the thread like a hot steaming pile of ****, because that is what it will turn into, and they can go find help somewhere else.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Sorry if i pissed anyone off.
And as HR stated, My 3.08's are temporary.
@C4O- ive always thought, the faster the engine turns, the more fuel its sucking in(makes sence, hence higher rpm=more fuel its sucking).

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Let's say you have a standard trans and you get up to around 30 mph and put it in 5th gear and the rpms are around 1,200. If you want to speed up and don't downshift you'll be giving it gas and the speed wont be picking up like it would be if the rpms were in the optimal range. You'll also be adding stress to the whole drivetrain that in an auto trans would equate heat. We have gas wells around here that have smallblocks set up to run on NG that operate the well pumps and they run at 3,250 rpms continuously because of the load they handle. If they ran at a lower rpm the engine would not be able to handle the load, be using more fuel and creating more heat.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Let's say you have a standard trans and you get up to around 30 mph and put it in 5th gear and the rpms are around 1,200. If you want to speed up and don't downshift you'll be giving it gas and the speed wont be picking up like it would be if the rpms were in the optimal range. You'll also be adding stress to the whole drivetrain that in an auto trans would equate heat. We have gas wells around here that have smallblocks set up to run on NG that operate the well pumps and they run at 3,250 rpms continuously because of the load they handle. If they ran at a lower rpm the engine would not be able to handle the load, be using more fuel and creating more heat.

i went from around 3.1k to around 2k. It also went from 6mpg to 15ish(those are both mixed driving).
I understand what you guys are saying, But i HAD to put the 3.08s in, cause of how its my DD and the 4.11s were just eating my pockets.
I dont tow,only regular driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia