which is better for worKshop insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Styrofoam board or fiberglass? it is for the ceiling the walls have been finished by a previous person who worked in this garage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Styro foam. Air infiltration in my experience is what really lets the cold be felt. I don't care HOW much R value is claimed, if air can just blow right through it, like it does with fiberglass, it is like trying to figure out the R value of a screen window to me..

Now, I live in the frozen north, and cold wind is what gets you here, I've seen people with R-30 fiberglass in their walls have colder feeling homes than people with R-10 Styrofoam sealed nicely in the walls.

Once that cold wind blows, it is a killer.

Now, warm climates may be different, not as experienced with trying to keep something cool on a hot day.

The absolute BEST in my opinion, is the spray on foam, if you have the walls/cieling exposed, man it might be a nice time to do a layer even an inch or two is enough to make a HUGE difference!

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
insulation

I would have it spray foamed as well. Absolutely no air gaps in that, (if its done right). If thats not an option blown in cellulose would be my next choice. Easy to use and non itching. Just my opinion.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Styrofoam.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My garage has a drywall ceiling, so I just shot cellulose in it about 8in thick and it sure helped alot. But I agree, it's the wind that will hurt. If you're windows and doors aren't sealed good and that wind can get it, you're gonna feel it. Luckily, my north side is a block wall with R13 and sealed in the cracks and joints, and the house next door works as a wind break, so it's not to bad. But, my front roll up doors aren't insulated and I can tell it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you plan on doing any welding, heavy grinding or torch cutting in the workshop you may want to consider fiberglass instead of styrofoam. I agree styro blocks air and holds heat better but it is also much more flammable.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Most of the extruded foam I see has a pretty high fire rating, are you talking about the plain white stuff?

I know the old spray on foam was bad that way, but the newer stuff is not very flamable.

If you plan on doing any welding, heavy grinding or torch cutting in the workshop you may want to consider fiberglass instead of styrofoam. I agree styro blocks air and holds heat better but it is also much more flammable.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah the white stuff, you can buy it by the 4' x 8' x 2" thick sheets at Lowes. I guess I should have said, be aware of the fire rating depending on what you'll be doing in your workshop.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
door is air tight solid 1.5 oak planking with a rubber door seal it is sliding and has a pull latch inside the pull the door against the wall.

foam boarding seem the way to go since it is far cheaper than i though it is cheaper than R-13. the building is airtight just not very airtight in the ceiling due to the whirly birds on the roof. i made a temporary ceiling out of tarps stretched tight from one wall to the other and it helped some in the winter.

the outside of the workshop is just a old white asbestos shingles over the old wood shingle siding which i assume was done in the early 60's i painted it white and i don't dare to mess with any of it. the inside is just wall structure with fake wood paneling with 4 inches of cellulose insulation. i feel no air coming through when the winds is blowing hard and strong.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had planned to use the styrofoam paneling on the walls of my garage, in between the studs. I need the more expensive stuff, with the foil backing since my walls are just old wood slats with numerous air gaps. The roof will probably get the plain styrofoam panels.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I got my garage ceiling done and now it is more comfortable in there. Got my a/c going right now cooling it down so i can get a few things done like front brakes pads on the truck.

Up next on the garage is clean the stove pipe out and put some new fire brick in the wood stove because i fired it hard heating the shop back last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916