Which 350 setup would you buy to replace your 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Blueprint has this Vortec roller cam engine with one piece RMS for $2,599, which seems like a great price for what you are getting. https://blueprintengines.com/collec...s/gm-350-with-vortec-heads-roller-cam-1pc-rms. It has a little more cam than I prefer for a working truck, but should still have a strong low end.

FYI - I just went through swapping in Blueprint aluminum heads and a Howards retrofit roller cam for my 350 crate. It all went together fine, but I forgot how much harder it is to do all that work with the engine still in the truck. And with all the odds and ends I had to buy I think my price is now almost as much as that complete Blueprint crate engine (new timing cover with cam button, double roller timing chain, pushrods, roller rockers, tall valve covers, various gasket sets, etc.).

For example, I thought it was expensive when I needed new tall valve covers to fit over roller rockers ($55 for valve covers), but had real sticker shock when I found out that the Fel-Pro high performance rubber valve cover gaskets are now almost $50. All the pieces and parts really add up.

Bruce

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just to entertain a newbie... Will a BBC just drop and bolt?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Just to entertain a newbie... Will a BBC just drop and bolt?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
More or less. Exhaust and accessories different. Flexplate likely to have a dual pattern to work with 3 bolt torque converter. But 8.1l specifically does require more work due to accessories design and fuel injection aspect.

poboy73

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986 GMC
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Figure out the approximate hp and torque you are looking for and order the 350 crate that matches up closest in your price range. As others said all the little stuff adds up in cost and time and also voids your warranty. That blueprint engine is 373/400 runs 87 octane and comes with 50,000 mile warranty.

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Definetly I vote for the "KISS" method. You won't be sorry?
I look at mine, with all the F@#k'n wires all the time and just shake my head!!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Probably a little late to the party but I would probably go with a crate L31R Vortec setup and save up some money and add a Holly FI setup on top of it to have the great dependability and ability to make some power. I think the only thing I would change on the motor is probably a more agressive cam and see about upgrading it for 1.6 rockers if that setup does not come with them already. It's about the best small block setup made in a "stock" configuration that you can buy as a generic crate motor. Comes with the Vortec heads already.. just need to setup for an electric fuel pump and you can pretty much drop that in anything.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
no ls for me. on your budget you can buy the base 350 crate, swap the cam,put vortec heads and intake, a carb of your choice and make 350 hp +/- and 350+ torque. check out roadkill garage on youtube as friedburg has done this build and has all of the numbers for you and all of the prices. screw the ls. maybe i'll lose some friends but the ls swap doesn't make sense to me unless you have deep pockets or a horsepower addiction.

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
go bbc, easy swap and alot more fun than a 305. even if it's stock.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Probably a little late to the party but I would probably go with a crate L31R Vortec setup and save up some money and add a Holly FI setup on top of it to have the great dependability and ability to make some power. I think the only thing I would change on the motor is probably a more agressive cam and see about upgrading it for 1.6 rockers if that setup does not come with them already. It's about the best small block setup made in a "stock" configuration that you can buy as a generic crate motor. Comes with the Vortec heads already.. just need to setup for an electric fuel pump and you can pretty much drop that in anything.
This is exactly what I’m doing right now. I wanted it to look like a sbc.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have been going back and forth with driveline for my K5.
First I thought replace the dead 305 with a 350 (has a 700r4 and np208).
Then I dove into the LS 6.0/4L65e/NP241 setup. I was almost sold on this setup but now I read this tread.

My 87 R10 has it original TBI setup and trans (350/700r4) so that one will NEVER go LS.
Was just thinking since my K5 engine and probably trans are shot I could explore modern options.

I'll look at the crate L31R and blueprint ones.

Just not sure at this point...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray