Whats the best drop kit and/or combination for 20" rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev_214

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra classic
Engine Size
5.7 v8
I've been looking all over for the kit for my needs and i cant seem to find a solid answer. I got a 1987 Long Bed Gmc Sierra Classic and I want some 20"s on it and still be able to drive it as a daily with out messing up.
If i can't get a solid answer with 20"s ill use other size rims
I need recommendations.

What drop kit or combination would be best for my needs?
What's best? Shackles, Shocks, Spindles, or flip kits?
What kits/combinations are y'all using?
Can y'all post pics and do a brief explanation(rim size,front drop,rear drop,and combinations)?
Any extra parts needed besides what I mention?

Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Read through this. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15961

There's a square lowered with 20s but lowering with anything bigger than 18s the wheel wells will probably need to be modified. Depends too on how low you want to go. Slammed get tubular control arms and throw air bags on it along with trailing arms in the rear with bags. Or get 3"drop spindles with 20 in wheels and a 3"drop spring with shackles and a flip kit in the rear and a c-notch.

Me personally i am going with new tubular control arms from CPP, better clearance with their lower ca. And a 2" drop spring. The rear is getting a flip kit and if needed later shackles or the trick of cutting the helper leaf when doing the flip to act as a lowering block for an extra inch down. Also looking at 17in wheels with tires that are around 27-28in tall. I too have an '87 longbed but a Chevy.

All up to you and your needs and budget. DJM, Belltech, CPP, McGaughys are all wonderful providers of lowering equipment.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Kev_214

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra classic
Engine Size
5.7 v8
Read through this. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15961

Me personally i am going with new tubular control arms from CPP, better clearance with their lower ca. And a 2" drop spring. The rear is getting a flip kit and if needed later shackles or the trick of cutting the helper leaf when doing the flip to act as a lowering block for an extra inch down. Also looking at 17in wheels with tires that are around 27-28in tall. I too have an '87 longbed but a Chevy.
Keep me updated with your build!
:headbang:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a 5-7 drop, and running with 20x8 front and 20x12 rear. I removed the front inner fenderwells and replaced them with custom steel fenders with a larger diameter and height under the hood for clearance. The front is comprised of 3 inch drop coils (McGaughy), and 2 inch drop spindles (McGaughy) The rear has a flip kit, and drop hangers (Western Chassis) The overload spring was also removed. I also installed a mini notch (I fabricated) for piece of mind. I dont have any clearance issues out back. Polyurethane bump stops front and back, polyurethane control arm bushings as well as sway bar bushings.

No rubbing up front or out back. Rides smooth and everyone that rides passenger is shocked at how well it handles for the low stance. I do slow down for speed bumps due to my headers.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 5-7 drop, and running with 20x8 front and 20x12 rear. I removed the front inner fenderwells and replaced them with custom steel fenders with a larger diameter and height under the hood for clearance. The front is comprised of 3 inch drop coils (McGaughy), and 2 inch drop spindles (McGaughy) The rear has a flip kit, and drop hangers (Western Chassis) The overload spring was also removed. I also installed a mini notch (I fabricated) for piece of mind. I dont have any clearance issues out back. Polyurethane bump stops front and back, polyurethane control arm bushings as well as sway bar bushings.

No rubbing up front or out back. Rides smooth and everyone that rides passenger is shocked at how well it handles for the low stance. I do slow down for speed bumps due to my headers.
Sounds like a nice setup.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No,(insert face palm), I haven't yet lol probably Belltech you?
Not sure yet either,lol, but I want to make sure whichever ones I get will do what they're supposed to do..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks....^^^^

Who knows. ..I may end up bagging it next year...Im getting bored since it's 99% complete, and damn near every part has been upgraded or replaced.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I thought about bagging it, but I don't want to go that far on this truck, maybe the next one though..

84c1001

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What did you do with the bottom bump stops

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Did you have to widen your tubs in back to fit 20x12s?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did you have to widen your tubs in back to fit 20x12s?

Nop, but its a tight fit. I did have to trim a wee bit off of the inner fenderwell lip. Not sure of my backspacing, but i have about 3/8" clearance.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
What did you do with the bottom bump stops

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

I ditched the stock and jnstalled shorter polyurethane bumpstops from Energy Suspension.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmmm...may have to look into that, especially with the stepside bed...but I dont think it will have enough room...heard stepsides don't have as much clearance in back...but dont know for sure

Last edited: