whats a good header to buy for my stock 85 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Well Im keeping the truck. First thing im going to do is get rid of this wimpy tiny exhaust.. I want to buy some headers and I know we have plenty of room in the engine compartment. But im sure there may still be non quality made headers out there..

So who is the best quality headers. Hooker, hedman ect,ect??? thanks all.:cheers:

I will be doing a true dual with Hopefully an X pipe and mufflers will be Borla pro XS..

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well Im keeping the truck. First thing im going to do is get rid of this wimpy tiny exhaust.. I want to buy some headers and I know we have plenty of room in the engine compartment. But im sure there may still be non quality made headers out there..

So who is the best quality headers. Hooker, hedman ect,ect??? thanks all.:cheers:

I will be doing a true dual with Hopefully an X pipe and mufflers will be Borla pro XS..

I just bought summits truck headers, but haven't used them yet so I can't vouch for their quality. I think @350runner has been running his for a few years and they are holding up. And they're only like $120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hooker #2453 for the K. Hard to get an X-pipe on a K though. I went with an H-pipe right under the tailcone of the transfer case.

You must be registered for see images attach

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
MY 2 penneys... over the years I've had a couple different brands. I find that the smaller primaries equal more low end tq and mpgs in a street engine. It is kinda like going from stock exhaust to 3 inch duals on a 305. had that person understood how exhaust heat and velocity play rolls in the exhaust systems they would choose a smaller pipe size. you won't see much lost in choosing 1-5/8 primaries over 1-1/2 but if you had the two and swapped them out you'd feel a difference down low.
I'm sure some headers will for ever fit different then others so that will always be a debate. I like my summit headers. tho I wish I had spent the extra for some paint to add to the wow factor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've run all sorts of stuff, I seem to like Hedman the best. They also have different versions available, one set tucks up in nicer. However, the lower hanging set is extremely easy to install. Hedman's also have the nice ball-flange collector, just make sure to double-nut the bolts so they don't vibrate loose.

pacman1318

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the price you can't go wrong with the summit 1.5's if you are willing to spend the time to prime and paint them with the high heat ceramic paint, I couldn't afford the coated ones and was worried about buying unpainted ones but I took my time and hung them from the ceiling with bailing wire and primed them one day and painted them the next using very light coats and the're doing great. buy the best gaskets you can afford and re tighten them a couple of times after you run them.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
cool thanks everyone:cheers:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For the price you can't go wrong with the summit 1.5's if you are willing to spend the time to prime and paint them with the high heat ceramic paint, I couldn't afford the coated ones and was worried about buying unpainted ones but I took my time and hung them from the ceiling with bailing wire and primed them one day and painted them the next using very light coats and the're doing great. buy the best gaskets you can afford and re tighten them a couple of times after you run them.

How important is the paint? I just bought a set and wasn't planning on painting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
I've run all sorts of stuff, I seem to like Hedman the best. They also have different versions available, one set tucks up in nicer. However, the lower hanging set is extremely easy to install. Hedman's also have the nice ball-flange collector, just make sure to double-nut the bolts so they don't vibrate loose.

These are on my '94 , they fit great and don't leak on either end !

I've had good Doug Thorley headers in the past, Hooker always seem to work for everyone and they used to be the best BITD, I've had alot of good cheap headers too !

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I should also mention Flowtech as a good-fitting header that doesn't break the bank.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I ordered my headers and muffler and will make my own X pipe. I will post pics and part #'s plus pics of X pipe install if it can be done at muffler shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EazyT