what ya'll think about my engine set-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Bought an 84 chevy Silverado c10 with 383 stroker motor

What ya'll think about this set-up

4 bolt main 350 block bored .30 over
10:1 compression
218/228 LT4 hot cam
64 cc vortex heads
crane roller rocker 10-1.50
Engine Pro lifters 5/16 X .083
Dual plane air gap intake
650 cfm Edlebrock carb
2 1/2 long tube headers
3 inch H-pipe exhaust set-up
forged internals
4 lane radiator aluminum
MSD ignition system
serpentine belt set-up

thanks

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Something tells me you've never out an engine together before.

I would seriously look into GM fast burn heads over standard Vortec heads

I'm not sure what 2 1/2 Long tube headers are, but 3" disk exhaust is WAY to big.

1.6 rockers wouldbe better. ditch the dual plane intake, and the Edelbroke carb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So what makes you think you're going to get 10:1 compression? How do you come to that? Why forged internals? You running an adder of sorts? NOS, Turbo etc? Forged is heavier and way more expensive. 3in is for sure way to big. Dual 2 inch will usually do the job, 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 at best if it's an extremely hp engine. What size cam with what lift? Keep in mind, Vortecs need machine work if going over about .485 lift.

But, I am for the dual plane intake unless you're looking to give up your low end rpm band and have a big enough cam to have a power band starting around 2500 rpm, but I don't buy the hype of air gap either. I'd go with an Eddy Performer RPM if it were me. It's a nice in between of standard dual plane Performer and Single plane intake. Lose a tad bit of your lower end, but it also pulls to 6500 rpm.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I see your cam choice now. Yep, you'll need machine work on the heads for the .525 lift. That seems to be a short duration high lift cam.

Oh and good look finding a 4 , I think you meant core or row radiator. It's even tough to find a 3 row aluminum radiator. The aluminum radiators have more tubes per inch so they normally don't need more than 2 or 3 rows to equal the cooling performance of a standard 4 core radiator.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
IMO , I would re think your combo. Really it depends on what you want out of your truck , dd , weekend drags , or just smoke the tire's as far as you can see. To start with the hot cam is mainly for fuel injected motor's , mild idle , wide torque curve , etc...A cam with tighter lobe sep. will sound way better and be a lot snappyer , and more fun to drive on the street. I think there are way better chioce's for carb'ed motor's. As far as head's go vortec's flow great and work well for a cheap , mild build's but to jump into the bad boy area afr's are the way to go and with aluminum heads you can get away with higher compression on pump gas. Vortec's will need mods. for that cam and more mods. to run 1.6 rocker's. Your header's , (2 1/2 inch primary tube size????) , if so that is huge , like top fuel dragster size. I am also not a eddie carb fan , but thats just me. I would also say that 2 1/2 " exhaust is about the max pipe size I would go. As far as intake's go , pick one that will work at the rpm range your motor is built for , (I like eddie's for intake's).

Then it's all about machine work , that can make all of your high dollar parts scare the crap out of you or just be an average , quick street motor.

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Thanks for ya'lls reply.

This is what came with the truck when I bought it. I havent done anyting to the motor. Thats what the previous owner put in.

The reason I bought the truck was because body is in perfect condition, no rust on body, just 2 small rust spots on firewall , no dents. I'm the 3rd owner. Motor wise, I wanted to put in a new one. But, decided to keep the motor and run with it.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Just run with it. Does it run pretty good ? Any spark knock ? 10-1 with iron heads , a heavy vehicle , and a small duration cam are a recipe for spark knock. Make sure to fill with premium fuel only !

84 c10 o skool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
It gets up and goes! I haven't heard any spark knock. Yea, that what the guy I bought it from told me.. Put Premiun fuel.

It sounds good runs good.

I had a over heating problem at first, but I bought a fan shroud and installed it, that took care of that.

It does run rich. You can smell gas. I re-built the carb, still runs rich.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like it might need a dyno tune and have the carb rejetted/rodded. Those dyno tunes are expensive as hell and they take awhile but well worth it. Especially if they'll give you a print out of what all they did and what is set where. Then you just have to copy that next time you do a tune up yourself, or if you replace your distributor be sure to transfer the same weights and springs, and on the carb, use those same jets or rod #'s on a new carb if you have to replace it. Just take it to a dyno shop with at least 15 gallons of gas in it, be prepared to let them have it 2-3 days, and let them work their magic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia