what type of d60f locker do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
well I have no complaints so far, so I'll leave it as is. I don't seem to slip around unless I'm flooring it in something slippery. If I ever decide to get crazy and break something, I'll just buy another axle and build it stronger. lockers range from $400-1000 so it's not too bad to maybe build replacement axles on the side.

so if I'm looking for a 14ff to put a Detroit in, I want to start with an open carrier?

the only other concern is if I do have a powr-lok front, what type of oil? what came out of it was like light colored honey.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, that's a gov-lock. Iirc they were designed to lock both sides after a diference in speed occured between the wheels. The Detroit locker was designed to keep both wheels locked together until the centrifugal force of the corner overpowered the springs on one side and allowed that wheel to disengage and turn at a different speed.

It takes like 5mph wheelspeed difference to cause the governor on a Gov lock to engage. Then it disengages above 15 or sos

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
well I have no complaints so far, so I'll leave it as is. I don't seem to slip around unless I'm flooring it in something slippery. If I ever decide to get crazy and break something, I'll just buy another axle and build it stronger. lockers range from $400-1000 so it's not too bad to maybe build replacement axles on the side.

so if I'm looking for a 14ff to put a Detroit in, I want to start with an open carrier?

the only other concern is if I do have a powr-lok front, what type of oil? what came out of it was like light colored honey.
Yes, the open carrier 14 bolt is the far cheaper way to add a Detroit locker to an axle. Your front diff is an open carrier.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It takes like 5mph wheelspeed difference to cause the governor on a Gov lock to engage. Then it disengages above 15 or sos
It's been a while since I read a description of how it they worked, I didn't even remember there was a disengage speed also.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
so this is the way to go on the front?
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If you really wanted to be able to run in 4wheel drive on the road, then that is a good solution. The cheaper option, would be a mechanical locker, BUT, you'll have to make sure your hubs are unlocked on the street. Technically, the only transfer case that was designed to be run on the road in 4wd, was the np203. The other cases don't have a center differential in them, and if the tires are on a surface the won't allow them to slip, it can cause accelerated wear on the t-case. So, I guess what I'm saying, is that you shouldn't be in 4 wheel drive on the road anyways, so a mechanical locker with the hubs unlocked on the road would be my choice.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I like taking things apart to see how they work and upgrading them a lot more than I like breaking down. I'd rather buy good stuff and not have to ever worry. I enjoy tinkering at home, not on the trail, lol! I really appreciate the info, guys.

@CSFJ , would not driving on road in 4x4 apply to snow days as well? would you unlock front hubs in this scenario as well? edit: I usually drive an awd vehicle on bad snow days (Honda Element awd or v70xc, neither of which is nearly as good as my TORSEN Audi was)

what kind of oil would you guys suggest, given my current setup? ...and what are your favorite diff gaskets? I got these but I can buy whatever may be better:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I like taking things apart to see how they work and upgrading them a lot more than I like breaking down. I'd rather buy good stuff and not have to ever worry. I enjoy tinkering at home, not on the trail, lol! I really appreciate the info, guys.

@CSFJ , would not driving on road in 4x4 apply to snow days as well? would you unlock front hubs in this scenario as well? edit: I usually drive an awd vehicle on bad snow days (Honda Element awd or v70xc, neither of which is nearly as good as my TORSEN Audi was)

what kind of oil would you guys suggest, given my current setup? ...and what are your favorite diff gaskets? I got these but I can buy whatever may be better:

as far as gaskets go, these are about the best you can get. (they're what I have on my truck)
https://www.lubelocker.com/

Winter driving depends on how deep the snow is. If it's heavy enough where the wheels can slip instead of binding something then that's no problem. As for leaving the hubs locked in "just in case" well, then you'd be better with either a selectable locker or a limited slip. The ARB is a good system, but is dependent on an air compressor, and air lines to function. The OX locker has a mechanical sytem to engage it, but from what I understand can be finicky if the cable isn't adjusted correctly. A limited slip of some type, while not providing teh absolute lock up of the other options, will at least provide more traction than an open diff, and not be dependent on external parts to engage it. All depends on how often you foresee the need for 4wd when on the road. Myself I have a half ton '88 gmt 400 truck as a runabout/backup vehicle for winter, and about teh only time it gets put in 4x4 is when I check to make sure the system is still working. A good tire is far more important for winter diving than 4x4.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
as far as gaskets go, these are about the best you can get. (they're what I have on my truck)
https://www.lubelocker.com/

Winter driving depends on how deep the snow is. If it's heavy enough where the wheels can slip instead of binding something then that's no problem. As for leaving the hubs locked in "just in case" well, then you'd be better with either a selectable locker or a limited slip. The ARB is a good system, but is dependent on an air compressor, and air lines to function. The OX locker has a mechanical sytem to engage it, but from what I understand can be finicky if the cable isn't adjusted correctly. A limited slip of some type, while not providing teh absolute lock up of the other options, will at least provide more traction than an open diff, and not be dependent on external parts to engage it. All depends on how often you foresee the need for 4wd when on the road. Myself I have a half ton '88 gmt 400 truck as a runabout/backup vehicle for winter, and about teh only time it gets put in 4x4 is when I check to make sure the system is still working. A good tire is far more important for winter diving than 4x4.

thanks, I just ordered the diff gaskets and th400 from lube locker

what type of cleaner is safe to use in a diff? any gear oil you prefer...synthetic, different viscosity?

I know I ask a lot of opinion based questions but I like to defer to the guys who seem like they know what they are doing on this site rather than random opinions on google. I've had bad experiences of misinformation from "experts" through google searches.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
thanks, I just ordered the diff gaskets and th400 from lube locker

what type of cleaner is safe to use in a diff? any gear oil you prefer...synthetic, different viscosity?

I know I ask a lot of opinion based questions but I like to defer to the guys who seem like they know what they are doing on this site rather than random opinions on google. I've had bad experiences of misinformation from "experts" through google searches.
I've always just used liberal amounts of brake cleaner to hose out the diffs. As far as fluid choice, I've been running Royal Purple (75-140?) in my stuff lately. Had heard good things, figured I'd give it a try. None of my trucks are off-road toys, so I felt ok about paying for the high dollar synthetic stuff. If I was still going off-road however, I'd use regular gear lube since it would be getting changed on a regular basis, and synthetic would be a waste. With your truck running that Gov-Loc, you would need to find out what GM recommends for it. Actually Hatzie just posted a TSB from GM about fluid selection in a different thread.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I've always just used liberal amounts of brake cleaner to hose out the diffs. As far as fluid choice, I've been running Royal Purple (75-140?) in my stuff lately. Had heard good things, figured I'd give it a try. None of my trucks are off-road toys, so I felt ok about paying for the high dollar synthetic stuff. If I was still going off-road however, I'd use regular gear lube since it would be getting changed on a regular basis, and synthetic would be a waste. With your truck running that Gov-Loc, you would need to find out what GM recommends for it. Actually Hatzie just posted a TSB from GM about fluid selection in a different thread.
okay, I'll look for the tsb. I have heard of people using brake clean and some saying it won't allow the oil molecules to properly cushion the gears because it drives the oil out. that's the reason I asked, I've heard it both ways...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
okay, I'll look for the tsb. I have heard of people using brake clean and some saying it won't allow the oil molecules to properly cushion the gears because it drives the oil out. that's the reason I asked, I've heard it both ways...
I'd let it dry good, in that case, before refilling.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
no problem.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

That is the best solution, it gives you both. On snow days, leave it in 4x4, hubs locked, diff open. In mud, or technical trails, hill climbs, etc, lock it up.

I rarely need to use my front, generally my rear is sufficient to push me anywhere I want to go. Like you, the fear of body damage keeps me from getting too wild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub