What the hell is the noise?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I just read your write-up on the K10 brake job, you mentioned it had a clicking sound in the last post, back in October.

Before the brake job last summer the thing was making a chirping sound while driving. After the brake job it stopped and came back about 2k miles later. Just a couple months ago I put new pads on again and it stopped.

Someone was telling me at my last job that letting a car sit for a long time trashes the wheel bearings. I guess all the weight of the vehicle sitting on that little roller puts a dent int the race and eventually trashes the **** out of the bearings. I thought he was full of **** but thats the only explanation I can come up with, I know I set the preload right on the bearing and the spanner nuts are correct.

Has anyone else herd of that?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I dont believe that. That's why you put preload on it, so the load is spread over all the roller bearings. Mine sits alot and never had that trouble. Then again I have to get in mine alot to swap axle joints and clean water out of places it shouldnt be, so mine gets repacked alot. But it still sits for months at a time. If I were you I would take the hub assembly, spanner nuts and outer bearing off, and use a grease gun to shoot a good bit of grease back in between the inner and outer bearings, and put it back together.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Before the brake job last summer the thing was making a chirping sound while driving. After the brake job it stopped and came back about 2k miles later. Just a couple months ago I put new pads on again and it stopped.

Someone was telling me at my last job that letting a car sit for a long time trashes the wheel bearings. I guess all the weight of the vehicle sitting on that little roller puts a dent int the race and eventually trashes the **** out of the bearings. I thought he was full of **** but thats the only explanation I can come up with, I know I set the preload right on the bearing and the spanner nuts are correct.

Has anyone else herd of that?

I've got to call BS on this one.... I think you got bad info...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
2wd have a flat washer that has a little tang on it I think to line it up on the spindle, then the nut, and usually just tighten it with a cresent wrench until the rotor gets some drag, kinda go back and forth tight and loose until it get seated good and doesn't go down anymore and such, then get a little drag to it and be done, throw in the cotter pin and dust cap and you're done.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
2wd have a flat washer that has a little tang on it I think to line it up on the spindle, then the nut, and usually just tighten it with a cresent wrench until the rotor gets some drag, kinda go back and forth tight and loose until it get seated good and doesn't go down anymore and such, then get a little drag to it and be done, throw in the cotter pin and dust cap and you're done.

I think it's his K10 in his sig.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Don't understand the sound description, chirping is something a tire does, isn't it? Kind of vauge. Where is the noise coming from? What is the rythm/speed of the noise? Tire/hub speed? Driveshaft speed? Engine speed?
Certain speed this noise shows up or at any speed?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea if it's 4x4 no clue been too long since I done one. other then my 88 k1500 which is IFS, and a whole nother animal.

As for chirping wheel bearings and u joints do that when they start going bad or going out. had a 2wd s-10 have some chirping or rubbing like noise sort of a grind almost, ended up being bearings dry of grease up front. Seen several u joints chirp, most I saw were chirping loud and low speed like pulling around in the parking spots or gas pumps.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Don't understand the sound description, chirping is something a tire does, isn't it? Kind of vauge. Where is the noise coming from? What is the rythm/speed of the noise? Tire/hub speed? Driveshaft speed? Engine speed?
Certain speed this noise shows up or at any speed?

Its a metallic sound coming from the front left rotor and is coming from the rotor. At slow speeds like idling around in first gear its clicking and ticking sounds coming from the same area.

It sounds like the c-10 has the same configuration alot of 2wd trucks do. I know i set the preload right in this case, I have done it quite a few times.

I was taught to crank down on the nut, spin the rotor and keep tightening until it does not move anymore. After that the drag is just done by feel but the nut is usally backed off 1/8th or 1/4 of a turn. The passenger side bearing seems to be fine.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hey I just thought of this, but I doubt that's what's wrong but I'll throw it out there anyway. If I leave my hubs locked and drive in 2wd they click, and faster I go they practically buzz. You didnt leave a hub locked in did you? If you're sure it's the bearing I would just try resetting the preload first. It's possible if there was too much preload one of the rollers flatspotted.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yea i think I will pull it apart and tighten up the spanner nut to the next little round notch in that lock ring and test drive it. I dont think its the hub, its on "free" and there is no buzzing sounds.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Aw, fuggit, turn up the radio and drive the thing, lol!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It sucks man, the thing looks like **** and sounds worse. I cant find the knobs to change the radio station so its been stuck on christmas music for like a month!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We now return to regularly scheduled programming !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:)