What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
These are Nielsen Transfer Screws, they are the same principle as a transfer punch except they can be threaded into a piece so you can put metal or wood against it to mark a bolt pattern. This 3 size set was about $36 shipped.

I’ll be using these on an inboard shock crossmember bracket to transfer the bolt pattern to the inside of my frame.
I'd like to see how those work. Where did you get those from?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I bought them from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, just the cheapest source via google search.

I will be using them to transfer the bolt pattern of a bracket with semi enclosed bolt holes (can’t use a regular transfer punch).

Check this video for an example of how to use them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I bought them from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, just the cheapest source via google search.

I will be using them to transfer the bolt pattern of a bracket with semi enclosed bolt holes (can’t use a regular transfer punch).

Check this video for an example of how to use them.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Holy crap I need a set....Thanks for the video....

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Being a Truck/Car guy and being a tool guy has always been to me like cake and frosting, they just naturally fit together. Since I'm always after tools that I don't have, I thought it would be sort of cool to do a thread on tools. Post up pictures of new or new to you tools that you just locked your hands on with maybe a short little review on quality, cost and ease of finding the same thing if someone else is interested in the never ending hobby of collapsing the wheels on their tool boxes.

Here is something I got today, a new Greenlee mini-magnet L97 laser level that I found on ebay for $89 with shipping. This is mostly an electrician tool for bending conduit, it clamps on the lip of a piece of tubing and each bubble level shows you when you have bent either 0°, 30°, 45° or 90° angles and it has a laser dot of the end of it if you are bending a long piece in place and aiming for a target stop point. The base also has a v notch in it with 3 magnets so you can set it on top of a piece of pipe too instead of in the throat.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm going to use it for bending exhaust pipe and fitting in my rigs then also use it when I'm building a roll cage or similar tube work. Think that will cut down on doing multiple fits until I get exactly the right angle since I can measure an angle in place with a flex jig and make sure I'm on target.
Who's got new toys to show off?
I have one just like that stuck to my forklift at work... found it in scrap...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought a window lock strip tool, some stuff plastic prybars and a set of picks which curiously I’ve never had…weird. Didn’t use them much for install the windows but used them like 3x since! Best 11.99 I’ve spent on Amazon.
Nothing exciting but needed all of it to get the windows in.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Any of you guys have any Harbor Freight toolboxes? I'm seriously considering picking up their 56" roller cabinet in the next couple weeks. I'm slap full in my current 41" Sunex, to the point I'm stacking tools lol. This is just hobby stuff for me so I can't justify a Snap-off or anything expensive. The HF ones seem super well built for the price and I like that I can add a top/side cabinet/locker/etc later on without buying a whole new box.
Love my tool box so far.
I have no complaints about it.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Dont know if you'd call it new, but new to me...

Found yet another X wrench at the junkyard. This one is pretty good. Have like 8 of those now, 5 of which I've found at the junkyard

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Dont know if you'd call it new, but new to me...

Found yet another X wrench at the junkyard. This one is pretty good. Have like 8 of those now, 5 of which I've found at the junkyard
A 4 way? Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I guess so, I've always called and heard them called X wrenches or criss cross wrenches.

Must be regional. I've also always known them as a 4-way. Or just "tire iron" too.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Picked up a more basic welding helmet, as I have no need or desire to own a $500 helmet, which im sure are well worth it. Was just gonna get a basic non electric just straight up helmet, but I knew I was gonna get an auto dimming model anyways so I just spent the money on one and not have one of them laying around.

Miller classic series, of course in the liberty scheme. lol, light, basic, cheapish, auto dimming, it also even has grinding and cutting modes, adjustable reaction sensitivity and shade and shade delay. Came with a couple extra lenses for both sides.

Auto dimming was the necessity, as I have the hoodflip down, but it's just super inconvenient and at times impossible. Has the clear light tech so what you're looking at isn't green, or as green as the old days.

Even got some relearnin done, I've never flux welded, I've done everything other than tig. Also on a new machine, I got her down pretty good after about five minutes. The helmet makes it a dream.

Also guys, I've gotten arc flash real bad one time, I swore to myself never again... I was using a decent helmet, just didn't know the settings and helmets got shared.. never again.

I'm lucky enough it was time for bed and I had some sleeping pills otherwise I would have had one hell of a long night, and would not have felt as good as I did the next day if I hadn't got that sleep. If you get arc flash make sure you get to sleep and a good sleep as well. That was my experience and what helped me. My buddy welding with me that day wasn't so lucky, he got the same arc flash and didn't sleep and his eyes were still killing him that next morning.

Anyways! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes