What motors can be swapped into an 87 square body custom deluxe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
How are you liking this trans? Have you had any issues with the clutch failing?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

I've towed with it for something like 25,000 miles and love it so far. For going up hills it is nice to be able to chose from 3 different gears for highway speeds.

The clutch hasn't been a problem yet, and if it does I'll get a south bend clutch to replace it. The only issue I ever had was towing when it was almost 100 degrees out. After a few hours of non-stop highway driving I pushed in the clutch to shift, and there really wasn't anything there. Had to pump the clutch a few times to get fluid back down there. Guess it can boil out when the exhaust is just a few inches away.

I also like how first and reverse are straight up and down from each other. Makes maneuvering when parking a trailer much easier.

And the gas mileage is very good (for a 8.1L) If driving empty on the highway I usually get 15.5 mpg on the way to my parents (3 hour drive).

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I've towed with it for something like 25,000 miles and love it so far. For going up hills it is nice to be able to chose from 3 different gears for highway speeds.

The clutch hasn't been a problem yet, and if it does I'll get a south bend clutch to replace it. The only issue I ever had was towing when it was almost 100 degrees out. After a few hours of non-stop highway driving I pushed in the clutch to shift, and there really wasn't anything there. Had to pump the clutch a few times to get fluid back down there. Guess it can boil out when the exhaust is just a few inches away.

I also like how first and reverse are straight up and down from each other. Makes maneuvering when parking a trailer much easier.

And the gas mileage is very good (for a 8.1L) If driving empty on the highway I usually get 15.5 mpg on the way to my parents (3 hour drive).
Thanks!

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub