Well, the EGR didn't fix it...what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Hey Everybody,

My 91 V2500 5.7 4WD (4L80) has a power loss/hesitation problem at highway speed. I've replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, Plug Wires, Rotor and Cap, EGR Valve, EGR Vacuum Solenoid, Fuel Filter, PCV Valve, AND Fuel Pump. It's still got the problem. I'm stumped!! No Check Engine Light. Could it be a bad catalytic converter or a bad fuel pressure regulator?

The computer label has the following printed on it: 16154461 AWBP.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kevin

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey Everybody,

My 91 V2500 5.7 4WD (4L80) has a power loss/hesitation problem at highway speed. I've replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, Plug Wires, Rotor and Cap, EGR Valve, EGR Vacuum Solenoid, Fuel Filter, PCV Valve, AND Fuel Pump. It's still got the problem. I'm stumped!! No Check Engine Light. Could it be a bad catalytic converter or a bad fuel pressure regulator?

The computer label has the following printed on it: 16154461 AWBP.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kevin

whats your base timing set at?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Unsure of that. I don't have a timing light.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Unsure of that. I don't have a timing light.

You may want to see if a friend has one, or see if you can rent one from the parts store. there is a single black plug with a tan wire that you need to disconnect next to the brake booster, and Timing should be set at 0.
I didnt see fuel filter on that list, and if all else fails, I would say cat. Is it the original?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I replaced the fuel filter. Yes, the cat is original. There is no smog pump on it so I guess the cat serves no purpose now anyway. Wasn't sure if it might be a bad O2 sensor. I've got a section of straight pipe and thought I'd go ahead and cut the cat off and replace it with the straight pipe tomorrow.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I cut off the cat and put on a straight pipe. I'm crossing my fingers but I think it did the trick. I think it was the original cat so I'm sure it was bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris