Well $#it. Timing cover seal leak on new build/new parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
So...I just discovered a ton of oil that appears to be coming from the timing cover seal. This was one of the first heavy pulls under load on the new engine and it appears to have just started considering how much ive been under the hood as of late I would have noticed it. Whole engine bay is freshly painted so im pretty sure its the culprit. Has a pattern of "slung" oil so its definitely on the balancer. Mostly being slung onto the fuel pump as thats the first point of egress
Anywho the motor only had 200 miles or so on it when I decided to do a cam swap, springs, rockers, pushrods, etc. That having been said I decided to reuse and never removed the old(200 mile) oil seal on the timing cover. It was basically new and appeared perfectly reusable.
The leak is pretty significant it seems under load. I cant see a leak at idle but the evidence is abundant

My questions are as follows:
1) if the balancer is even the slightest bit not FULLY pressed on would this cause a leak
Maybe I didnt fully press it on and was being a chicken ****
2) Other than the oil pan to timing cover gasket is there anything else that could cause a leak in this area...I cant think of anything

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
did you silicone the corners of the pan where it meets the timing cover? what type of gaskets did you use on the oil pan and timing cover? there could be multiple points of leakage from that area of the engine. My money would be on the joint where the oil pan gaskets meets the timing cover gaskets. always silicone the corners of those areas where the gaskets seat together to keep oil from weeping out (and yes, even if you use a one piece gasket it is still good insurance and business to put some beads of silicone on the 4 corners of the gasket surfaces to keep it from leaking) and also, if it does originate from that area the balancer would have a tendency to "sling" the oil out and away. However, You could've rolled or torn the balancer seal reinstalling the balancer or not have it 100% seated, but large amounts of oil tend to come from large leaks. need to clean the area with some starting fluid and start investigating from a dry slate first.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The only one I've had leak like that was because I replaced a bad balancer without replacing the seal without noticing that the old balancer had a leak saver sleave on it and a matched oversized seal. The new balancer obviously didn't have the sleave and therefore it puked a lot of oil onto the back of the balancer.

Did you pull the pan, or did you try and finagle the timing cover off and on without pulling it? Like previously stated, did you reseal the corners of the oil pan gasket? Did you change anything else while you were at it?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
The only one I've had leak like that was because I replaced a bad balancer without replacing the seal without noticing that the old balancer had a leak saver sleave on it and a matched oversized seal. The new balancer obviously didn't have the sleave and therefore it puked a lot of oil onto the back of the balancer.

Did you pull the pan, or did you try and finagle the timing cover off and on without pulling it? Like previously stated, did you reseal the corners of the oil pan gasket? Did you change anything else while you were at it?

It came off without removing the pan but when I reinstalled it I dropped the corner of the pan, used a new gasket, sealed the corners. all that jazz. The pan doesnt seem to be leaking but I havent cleaned it off and ran it on a lift yet. Maybe its leaking through the keyway? Balancer was mated to this cover already once and iirc didnt leak.
Im gonna pull the balancer when i have time and inspect the seal

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
did you silicone the corners of the pan where it meets the timing cover? what type of gaskets did you use on the oil pan and timing cover? there could be multiple points of leakage from that area of the engine. My money would be on the joint where the oil pan gaskets meets the timing cover gaskets. always silicone the corners of those areas where the gaskets seat together to keep oil from weeping out (and yes, even if you use a one piece gasket it is still good insurance and business to put some beads of silicone on the 4 corners of the gasket surfaces to keep it from leaking) and also, if it does originate from that area the balancer would have a tendency to "sling" the oil out and away. However, You could've rolled or torn the balancer seal reinstalling the balancer or not have it 100% seated, but large amounts of oil tend to come from large leaks. need to clean the area with some starting fluid and start investigating from a dry slate first.

Pan seal is A-1 upon visual inspection. Used lots of rtv in the corners, pulled pan down for install, etc.

Im thinking possible seal deformation. I cant remember having oiled the seal before install. May have damaged it then

Ill check the bolts on the cover and pan after cleaning it to make sure they are all tight before tearing in any deeper. let it run and see where its all coming from.

I have a fel-pro timing cover gasket and seal so worst case I just try them

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the balancer wasnt seated all the way your belts would be crooked. Do they seem lined up? Did you lube up your balancer before you reinstalled it?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
If the balancer wasnt seated all the way your belts would be crooked. Do they seem lined up? Did you lube up your balancer before you reinstalled it?

Im pretty sure its seated. The belts all line up as far as I can tell. No problems with them anyway.

I do not remember lubing the balancer or the seal before installation. In fact I DO remember thinking :"hey *******...did you put any oil on that" so, Think I screwed the pooch there. It probably hung on the balancer and rolled the seal over...or something to that effect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88