Welder Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MT84

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hey all I'd like to be able to start patching a rust hole here and there but I don't own a welder. Any recommendations for cheap welders that will weld sheet metal? I don't have a lot of experience welding and it's been probably 15 years since I have, but I was fairly decent with mig and stick. Also preferably 110v if that's a thing.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Flux core is cheapest with a lot of splatter. Otherwise a used mig

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
While it can be done, and some like @legopnuematic can do it well, it can be a pain in the ass to weld sheetmetal with it. Maybe they've changed, but the one I had, the trigger on the noodle ONLY controlled the wire feed. That sucker was live whenever the switch was on. But flux core in general is a more tedious operation for sheetmetal repair.

But my cheapie HF welder didn't last very long before it died. I replaced it with a bottom of the line Lincoln mig/flux welder. It served it's purpose well, but I later sold it to my dad so he could do basic repairs himself. I upgraded again, but it's by no means a budget welder.

But anyway, I've used several of the basic Lincoln mig units, I'd recommend one for general use without spending a bunch.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I've had one of the 90amp Harbor Freight welders for somewhere around 15 years and while it works OK welding fairly thin or fairly thick metal is a challenge until you get in some good practice. It's just not as precise as a more expensive machine. I'm definitely not bashing it, I paid under $100 for it and built a trailer t haul my street bike (weighs about 500lbs) around and some intercooler pipes for a couple of cars as well as a bunch of other projects and it worked well, it's just not the same as a $500+ machine.

MT84

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to scour Facebook for a used one

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had the cheapest flux core for 5+ years and it served ok. But working with mig at work makes it a non pleasant experience to go back with flux core

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Worse thing about the cheapo units is the cable and stinger... absolute junk.
Step up a bit like for example the Lincoln Mig Pac 180. It is 220, like 30 amp dryer plug. You can weld 1/4 with it and add gas if you like. You can even run a spool gun off it (umm, I think. Not really positive 'bout that sorry).

Always buy more tool than you think you need, and you will be glad you did.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
As it has been mentioned that I make do with the Harbor Freight special, it is by no means the best. If you have the means to get a mig with gas or get a DC stick welder that either has a high frequency start for tig or go with a lift arc tig setup then do so. Flux core is a 'hard' weld so its slow to grind and takes a long time. Mig is also a 'hard' weld, whereas Tig and oxy fuel welding are 'soft' welds meaning that they are malleable so they can be easily hammered and dollied to relieve stresses and prevent warping. Also with Tig fusion welding is possible leaving very minimal to no grinding to blend the weld seam.

Take this inner rocker to seat pan on my 79. This was done with flux core and took around 6-8 hours to weld, grind, weld, grind, let cool over and over again. If I did this with tig I could have done 1 inch long beads at around 40-50 amps (minimal heat input required) spaced 2 inches apart and when welded fully a few minutes with the DA locked out would have been all it would have needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
My Harbor Freight welder is the top of the line, 180amp, 220v unit, that they don't make any longer because now they think their stuff is gold.

So now, I think the best bang for your buck in starter welders is the Hobart Handler 140, you can start it on flux, move to gas, and is powerful enough to do most truck related tasks.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
the hobarts are made by lincoln if i remember right. i would try to find a used miller/lincoln one. i would also stay away from fluxcore wire. it burns hotter. i would get some 0.030 wire also, takes less heat which helps keep the warping down

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
the hobarts are made by lincoln if i remember right. i would try to find a used miller/lincoln one. i would also stay away from fluxcore wire. it burns hotter. i would get some 0.030 wire also, takes less heat which helps keep the warping down

Nope! Hobart is made by Miller. Produced on the same line only slight change in that some parts are cheaper quality, i.e. a plastic vs. metal piece, nothing really major. Older Hobart welders not included. I always said if you use a Miller you'll be spoiled for life but after buying a newer Hobart (made by Miller) I'm plenty happy with mine.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I do all my sheetmetal with .023, general purpose I use .030. I haven't used flux in a long long time, but I did have the little HF flux machine for awhile, it did fine for me doing general sheetmetal repairs, I used the Lincoln jelly to keep splatter from sticking.

You can do alot with a little when it comes to welding. Sometimes I think guy's get scared away by thinking they need some 1,400 machine to weld a cab corner in. You don't, it's just a little more effort and time. Welding in cab corners takes effort and time anyway. Get the best machine your budget allows and get to work.

But don't send some poor truck off to the scrapyard because the interwebz said you can't possibly stick two pieces of metal without a MIllermatic, because you can.

bft305

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought a northern tool Klutch brand inverter mig which I like for sheet metal. It can do flux and also comes with a regulator for gas. $400 and a 3 year warranty. It is 110v and I have had no issues with it.

curbstone mech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I like your idea of checking on Craigslist. Its just ne, but I like to look for a better quality tool that's been used ( not abused). I have a baseline Hobart handler 135 that is 110 volt. Bought it new about ten years ago, my son has used it and now I'm patching floors and stuff on my 79.Bottom line is if I would sell it, I'd probably only get half of what I paid and it would last some one a long time. But like I said, that's just me. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb