Weak muratic acid (zep alum, aluma brite)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
I used some very diluted zep alum the other day to take the heaviest funk (probably oxidation) off my truck it was absolutely amazing, I tried hand waxing this stuff and it didnt budge. With the muratic it came off with ease and didnt take any of the paint or even remotely affect it accept a slight dullness which waxed back to shine easily. Warning I would not use on newer clear coats with out trying on like the underhood or something since I dont know what affect it may have. Just thought I would share in case somebody has this issue.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used some very diluted zep alum the other day to take the heaviest funk (probably oxidation) off my truck it was absolutely amazing, I tried hand waxing this stuff and it didnt budge. With the muratic it came off with ease and didnt take any of the paint or even remotely affect it accept a slight dullness which waxed back to shine easily. Warning I would not use on newer clear coats with out trying on like the underhood or something since I dont know what affect it may have. Just thought I would share in case somebody has this issue.

Oxidation is such a PITA to work out on paint...It took me a while to get rid of the oxidation on the black Mazda I had, but it was worth it in the end. I was just glad that I didn't have to do it by hand:roflbow:.......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you guys ever tried clay bar and detailing spray. Its work, but awesome awesome results. Especially on Black. You can actually make black new again with clay bar. You never realize the crap that gets into your paint until you use clay bar and it cleans the tinyest of particles out of your paint.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
This is virtually no work, my neighbor turned me onto it and he even said it will work fine with clear coats as long as you dont leave it on long also idk if i mentioned in OP but dont spray directly on paint put on rag wipe the funk off, then with another rag wipe off immediately. I havent checked on clear coat myself but I am thinkin about trying it on my wifes durango. Always try new stuff on in conspicuous areas. When I get done I will post results.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Have you guys ever tried clay bar and detailing spray. Its work, but awesome awesome results. Especially on Black. You can actually make black new again with clay bar. You never realize the crap that gets into your paint until you use clay bar and it cleans the tinyest of particles out of your paint.

..I hear there is a decent paint detailing guy in KS.....lol...(shameless plug)....Claybars remove tons of contaminants in the paint...That is the first step I do in a paint detail..along with handwashing the vehicle. These steps are imperative before you actually start working the paint with polishes/pads/buffer....I plan on doing a write-up with pics this spring when I start in on the Camaro...........

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 134

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awzum !!! :grd: :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
...Claybars remove tons of contaminants in the paint...That is the first step I do in a paint detail..along with handwashing the vehicle. These steps are imperative before you actually start working the paint with polishes/pads/buffer....I plan on doing a write-up with pics this spring when I start in on the Camaro...........

Yep, claybar is work, no doubt. But well worth it in the end. I have seen cars that were so oxidized you'd know it needed a paint job. After some good claybar action, then a new coat of wax, the car looked brand new again.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This is virtually no work, my neighbor turned me onto it and he even said it will work fine with clear coats as long as you dont leave it on long also idk if i mentioned in OP but dont spray directly on paint put on rag wipe the funk off, then with another rag wipe off immediately. I havent checked on clear coat myself but I am thinkin about trying it on my wifes durango. Always try new stuff on in conspicuous areas. When I get done I will post results.

Definitely post up the results...I'm really curious.....

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
I've been doin this for a couple years now on semi trucks works awesome had a service truck in that had welding splatter and other crap right in the paint it looked like.metallic rust in that paint, cleaned it up really good used zep alum the stage 5 stuff, after a quick hand wax and looked new, luckily it was a white truck so hid all the scratches defs something I can confirm that works but like said try it somewhere hidden before doin your whole vehicle, specially if you have aluminum rims, or accessories as the stronger acid will turn em white/ or haze em out and leave acid spots

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
I'll have to try this. Just so happen to have a 5gal pail of it at work.

What stage is it there's 5 or 6 stages of zep alum just be careful anything over stage 3 will eat the flesh off your hand, it'll literally trace the calcium down in your bones and eat it 4's not totally bad but 5-6 will be almost instant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB