Water in Fuel Light Stays On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yams

Reaction score
First Name
Reed
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
6.2L
I've got a 1985 chevy k10 silverado with a 6.2 and the water in fuel light won't go off. The other day I took my dash cover thing off and noticed that there was no light in the water in fuel socket (this truck is a couple months new to me). So I put the light in, and when I turned the truck on the light came on. Now according to Chilton's, "the light will come on for 2-5 seconds each time the ignition is turned on, assuring the driver the lamp is working. If there is water in the fuel, the light will come back on after a 15-20 second off delay, and then remain on." Now I changed my fuel filter and opened the water drain valve before (I have the square body filter) and it didn't seem like water came out. So I put a new filter in and the light came right back on... Judging by the light being taken out, and also not going off from seconds 5-15, I assume that the sensor is bad, or that somewhere a wire is chaffing... What do you guys think?

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I've got a 1985 chevy k10 silverado with a 6.2 and the water in fuel light won't go off. The other day I took my dash cover thing off and noticed that there was no light in the water in fuel socket (this truck is a couple months new to me). So I put the light in, and when I turned the truck on the light came on. Now according to Chilton's, "the light will come on for 2-5 seconds each time the ignition is turned on, assuring the driver the lamp is working. If there is water in the fuel, the light will come back on after a 15-20 second off delay, and then remain on." Now I changed my fuel filter and opened the water drain valve before (I have the square body filter) and it didn't seem like water came out. So I put a new filter in and the light came right back on... Judging by the light being taken out, and also not going off from seconds 5-15, I assume that the sensor is bad, or that somewhere a wire is chaffing... What do you guys think?

sounds like you got it I would change the sensor an check the wire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS