Vortec Heads vs OEM SBC Old School Heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I have an old set of #882s here on the shelf that I understand can flow very well with mega porting. I say "old set" as later 70s castings were NOT as beef and wont take the extra porting one may desire.

"GM 882 Iron The smallest of the GM heads we tested at only 151 cc, the 882, turned out to be the best-flowing of the early iron heads. This head was tested with the 1.94/1.50 valves. ... If you are into these heads, the best way to find a good one is to flow-test several. But in most cases, that's impractical.Apr 1, 1999 "

Since buying the #416s off Craigslist a couple of years ago for my '75 to replace cracked #624s -"624s are the worst of the worst... not only are they small valve, low compression smog heads with a detonation-prone chamber design, they are also the VERY crack prone 'light weight' castings.Dec 7, 2006"

The 624s were stock I assume on a badass 350 that came out of a 1980 C30 truck that I swapped into the 75 after I pulled it's 400 that had the 882s on it.

I had 1.60" exhaust valves put un the #416s..R.I.P. :( wish I still had em.

I have since purchased a pair of World Products Torquer SR and had then drilled with steam holes to run on the 400..they re also 1.94/1.60. and @73cc now- they were 1.94/1.50 as purchased and you can see here that also adding 2.02s was not happening, it was either/or and I always vote bigger exhaust valves.:shrug:

But the LAST pair of heads I bought were aluminum #113s to put on the Camaro's L98.

Reckon its tough to run vortex heads under a tuned port intake lol?

You must be registered for see images attach

For some reason ive got $1500+ worth of cylinder heads in ny bedroom. :shrug: I built three pairs in the last year and a half and never considered vortex.
If I ever buy another set of heads - I want the #083s.

Last edited:

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The link in the first post is expired.
Posting this updated link here.