Vortec engine out of a surburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christopher jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Paid $450, engine has 27,000 original miles, that’s why I got it. I was gonna get a crate motor,I threw a rod in my old engine. I am in the process of buying a new house so I didn’t want to spend that kind of money, I would rather have 4,5 grand towards my new house. The miles and price made me get the engine

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Paid $450, engine has 27,000 original miles, that’s why I got it. I was gonna get a crate motor,I threw a rod in my old engine. I am in the process of buying a new house so I didn’t want to spend that kind of money, I would rather have 4,5 grand towards my new house. The miles and price made me get the engine

In that case, go for it. As I said, it's not a bad engine just nothing special. But you're 100% right, that's cheap for a solid running low mileage engine and that's a way better price than what you would pay for any crate engine. Get your truck back on the road so you can use it to work on that house! Good lock on both

You should consider swapping to EFI though. See if the harness/computer are available from the donor vehicle. No harm done if you don't, but if you already have a TBI engine you might as well run it the way it was intended, it's the only real advantage of that engine.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I agree on the fuel injection swap if the donor vehicle is available. I have an 87 and its fuel injected, same engine and starts up every time. Its no power maker, its a 350 and I wont be doing any exhaust or power adders. Its not very advanced but its reliable.

The valve seals on those engines are known to go bad, $400-500 to get it done by a mechanic. Tell him to check them. Otherwise its a good ol reliable 350.

I also agree do the $450 engine if you are buying a house. Another thing to consider is buy the house and get the Vortec after your financing is done. Credit card it and pay it off over a year. They were $2000 shipped awhile back.

You will get your money back when you sell it if you do things like fuel injection, vortec, 700r4, etc.

To answer your question though, coming out of a suburban its a 350.

That motor is reliable, my dad got 300k out of an 89 before he parked it to only use as a farm truck. Still ran fine. Valve seals in it started going bad. Traded it off for some work and saw it around for quite some time.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Wise move Grasshopper!

christopher jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Coming from a car show

You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Coming from a car show

You must be registered for see images attach
That sucks ass and balls and all sorts of other stuff that it terrible to suck.
Any engine is better than one that is shitting rods and caps through the pan...

Stupid question, but no chance at rebuilding what you have? Maybe if you tore it open the damage wasn't as bad as you thought? Obviously the bottom end is done, but who knows maybe the block could be fine if everything went kabang in just the right place?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes