Valve covers & engine covered in oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Attachments

• BrainFart.jpg
    BrainFart.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 107

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
And thanks hotrod. I re read the thread and some how the first time i missed about the power steering leak.

I found out about that front seal with a fresh rebuilt 350 in the junkyard that everyone passed over because it was black from top to bottom. but an edelbrock manifold on top of it caught my eye ( which also was black from oil) when I pulled it off I found my self a freshly built motor. paid $75 bucks for it. it even had a new cam in it. fixed the seal and redid every gasket top to bottom, and I am currently driving around town with it :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
ya you know sometimes what your thinking isn't what comes out lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And thanks hotrod. I re read the thread and some how the first time i missed about the power steering leak.

I found out about that front seal with a fresh rebuilt 350 in the junkyard that everyone passed over because it was black from top to bottom. but an edelbrock manifold on top of it caught my eye ( which also was black from oil) when I pulled it off I found my self a freshly built motor. paid $75 bucks for it. it even had a new cam in it. fixed the seal and redid every gasket top to bottom, and I am currently driving around town with it :)

Same here, there was a guy wanting to buy a tornado damaged truck for the motor and transmission. This thing was crumpled like a beer can, the motor and trans would have had to of been cut out of it. Everyone was telling the guy, junk, pass, blah blah blah. I finally told the guy, if you're getting this thing for the price of scrap, I'd be all over it. The reason it looks so damn bad is because it was upside down and all the oil came out of the motor onto the hood underside. When it was uprighted, all that oil dripped back on top of the motor. The guy bought it for next to nothing, I think $225. Came by 3 days later with his truck and thanking me. He found paperwork in the glovebox of the truck with a receipt for a Jasper motor installed by a local shop here in Moore about 8 months prior to the tornado and according to what he could read of the odo, the motor only had 6200 miles on it. Then he sawed off the Cat, got $50 for it, put his old motor and trans in the bed of that crumpled mess and got $390 scrap out of it. Do the math, he made a profit and got a FREE NEW MOTOR. Sold at one of our tow auctions.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's a pretty sweet deal lol. I lucked out pretty good too. The truck i got mine out of was all smashed in on the front too.I put mine on the engine stand and the cam wasn't even broke in yet, cross hatch marks looked like they were done yesterday, and I got 4 bolt mains as well. but I thought what kind of shop puts a grooved balancer back on like that so I redid everything even head gaskets. but they did a good job putting it together. runs pretty good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Some people just miss the minor details, like that balancer. Or they may have told the customer about it, and he was out of funds and going to replace it later. Never know.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
This might sound a little out of left field, so just bear with me for a moment, but have you checked your intake manifold bolts? I'm in the middle of replacing head gaskets and you wouldn't believe some of the crap I'm finding. First one was that half my intake bolts were barely finger tight, and they were definitely blowing oil by. If you haven't checked the torque on your topend it may not be a bad time to take a look. Doesn't take very long and the checking is also the cure. Convenient I would say.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Some people just miss the minor details, like that balancer. Or they may have told the customer about it, and he was out of funds and going to replace it later. Never know.

Thats why im reusing the stock balencer for right now. No funds, and i want to drive it. But later on, i plan on going liquid filled.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thats why im reusing the stock balencer for right now. No funds, and i want to drive it. But later on, i plan on going liquid filled.

I'm almost positive they all are, but just make sure it's an SFI approved one. Otherwise it's probably China junk.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I'm almost positive they all are, but just make sure it's an SFI approved one. Otherwise it's probably China junk.

the one im looking at is 18.1 certified. And its from 10ATDC to 50BTDC.
I may be wrong, but im pretty sure the OEM ones were just a metal weight centered by a rubber ring that shifted to take up the vibrations. I dont think therewas any fluid.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the one im looking at is 18.1 certified. And its from 10ATDC to 50BTDC.
I may be wrong, but im pretty sure the OEM ones were just a metal weight centered by a rubber ring that shifted to take up the vibrations. I dont think therewas any fluid.

Right. The OEM type are just a counterweight as you said seperated by the rubber ring. The fluid type are best cuz they are constantly rebalancing.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Right. The OEM type are just a counterweight as you said seperated by the rubber ring. The fluid type are best cuz they are constantly rebalancing.

ohh, i misread what you said. I thought you were saying that you thought ALL balencers were fluid. Now i see you were saying that you thought ALL fluid balencers are certified.

My bad

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Uhhh yeah. Good correction. I been around the block a time or two. I was just saying, if you get the fluid type, make sure it's SFI approved. No sense in spending the cash to get a fluid type and it not be. I don't know of a fluid type that isn't though, and if there is one, I'm going to guess it's made in China and didn't get the approval.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
Thought I'd update the thread. Come to find out, my 1406 Eddy was running rich for years. I rebuilt it, changed out the jets, and fine tuned it. Ever since(been 6 months now), my valve covers are clean as a whistle. Who'd of thought!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising