Vac Advance - Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
My 1970 GMC C2500 has a 350 engine with a HEI distributor and a Holley Sniper.
My buddy is a wrench at a classic car shop and helps me out once in a while. First time that he looked under the hood he called me an idiot for not having the vac advance connected (the previous owner swore that is ran better with it disconnected). So I hooked it up (this was a previous distributor, by the way). Ran fine either way, in my opinion.

When said wrench helped me install my Sniper I was again chastised...... for having it connected! It has been unconnected since the Sniper install & runs fine. The nipper on the Sniper is capped off, of course.

I love my buddy, but he smokes weed by the bushel and I attribute his flip-flopping to his copious intake of legal California hi-test!

She runs good..... but would she run better with the vac advance connected?

I am going to give it a try regardless...... but wanted to ask the wise sages of this board for their opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I ram my sniper the first year with the HEI and vacuum advance functional for the first year while waiting on Holley to release the Oldsmobile version of thier distributor. It worked just fine.

If the distributor has an advance curve that works well, run it with the advance connected.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Vacuum advance is mainly there to get better gas mileage at cruise on the highway. It usually has minimal effect on acceleration and general performance. You are giving up cruising speed gas mileage, but that’s your choice.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I agree with your buddy. It will pull in more timing at idle to clean up the exhaust, and run cooler,the plugs will stay cleaner and you'll get better milage. Go open the hood on 1000 American made cars made after mid 60s hell even earlier than that,they are all going to have vacuum advance. The automakers put them there for a reason. Do your own research, Google it. One more thing IDK how many cars have been made with vacuum advance on them but if GM could have saved 1.00 per car not having it,they'd have saved millions. Look at the vacuum arrangement on the trucks after about 1980 or so they have a thermo switch that if the engine starts to get hot it switches to manifold vacuum,from ported vacuum to cool them down.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I didn't read all of this actually never saw before. I told you look on Google this was the first article to pop-up. As far as I got into,I think it will explain to you the advantage of running it. Not sure if that article mentions it and I didnt see where anyone else brought it up. But in high gear at moderate speeds your centrifugal advance is going to fall out,because the engines not spinning fast enough to keep the weights out. The vacuum advance will bring this timing back in because you will be in a high vacuum situation. Read this article.https://www-motortrend-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.motortrend.com/how-to/1601-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16888794800200&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motortrend.com%2Fhow-to%2F1601-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing%2F

Last edited:

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had one not long ago where the centrifugal weights were staying out due to weak springs. It was an original high mileage distributor. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I ram my sniper the first year with the HEI and vacuum advance functional for the first year while waiting on Holley to release the Oldsmobile version of thier distributor. It worked just fine.

If the distributor has an advance curve that works well, run it with the advance connected.
I will get some 3/16 tube and try it today - HEY! nothing ventured nothing gained!

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
VACUUM ADVANCE IT IS! Thanks everyone.

Heck, once my buddy sobers up he'll probably say the same thing ;)

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I had one not long ago where the centrifugal weights were staying out due to weak springs. It was an original high mileage distributor. I just thought it was worth mentioning.
The original HEI blew up completely and left me on the freeway!

farm truck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Sorry, my wife said the old HEI was stinking up the joint, so I tossed her..... the distributor, not the wifer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad