Upgrade master cylinder with a disc brake conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
When doing a conversion to disc brakes is it a good idea to go to a later model master cylinder/booster that served four disc brakes? I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on the swap and only heard one comment on it, he changed out his old master/booster for a later model one. I thought I heard him say for an eight. Maybe an 08. My old m/c and booster need replacing anyway, just don’t know what to get. Thanks

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
A larger booster makes sense, but I would just use one from HD brakes on a squarebody of the same year. You also need to change the proportioning valve to one for front disks. The disk brakes stop better overall, but require higher pressure than drums.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Sounds good, thanks!

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
A larger booster makes sense, but I would just use one from HD brakes on a squarebody of the same year. You also need to change the proportioning valve to one for front disks. The disk brakes stop better overall, but require higher pressure than drums.
Any idea where I can get the right proportioning valve?

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
I just found out I’ve got 13” discs on the front ( Dana 44). and 11” drums on the rear, so if I put discs on the rear I can go to 13”, same parts as up front. I doubt it’s easy to find 13” back plates, ( to keep it drum) but might start looking.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I used a master cylinder from a ‘99 C3500, it is a disc/disc vacuum booster application. It bolted right on to the stock booster on my 91 Blazer.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There are disk brake conversion kits, so I assume they sell a proportioning valve to go with them. There are also hot rod adjustable prop valves from Summit, Jegs and other sources. You just install and adjust it until you like the front/rear bias.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
T
I used a master cylinder from a ‘99 C3500, it is a disc/disc vacuum booster application. It bolted right on to the stock booster on my 91 Blazer.
Rhanks, I’ll see if the 91 works on a 79, ask the parts guy

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
There are disk brake conversion kits, so I assume they sell a proportioning valve to go with them. There are also hot rod adjustable prop valves from Summit, Jegs and other sources. You just install and adjust it until you like the front/rear bias.
Thanks, parts guy told me most replacements aren’t available and like you said they get swapped out for adjustable, mostly. There are lots of good options, Lugnut has the disc/ disc, so does Wilwood and Inlinetubing, others. They all work for all disc/disc apps

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks, parts guy told me most replacements aren’t available and like you said they get swapped out for adjustable, mostly. There are lots of good options, Lugnut has the disc/ disc, so does Wilwood and Inlinetubing, others. They all work for all disc/disc apps
I meant all the disc/disc ones work for any disc/disc vehicle, or so it seems anyway.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I just bought a Disc/Disc proportioning valve from Southwest Performance parts 42.99 free shipping.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Thanks, I got the valve LugNut had with the conversion kit I got from them. It only works one line, the rear. I decided I wanted it up by the master cylinder, where the ABS module would be if I had abs. So I ran new lines, which was a challenge as I had to perfect my double flaring. But I like the rear line going straight back from the master, instead of under the radiator cowl to the passenger side. The T fitting on the rear diff was easy to move to the left. Welded little brackets in for the rear hoses. Can’t say how the valve works yet as I haven’t finished bleeding

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey