Uh Oh .. A crack!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
The temperature sender I recently installed (minus teflon tape or sealant) started leaking a little. I drained the coolant level down and pulled the sensor. I used a little tape and sealant and installed the sensor. As I got to the point where it was starting to resist the wrench I heard a pop and the wrench started moving easily. I took a closer look and found a crack along the casted mount which holds the sensor and the thermostat. My question is can I pull this piece off the engine and have it repaired, or should I try to locate another one? I don't even know what the name of the part is.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
You must be registered for see images attach

In this picture of another engine its the part that the stat is mounted on and has the heater hose connection pointing at the 11 o'clock position.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
You must be registered for see images attach

In this picture of another engine its the part that the stat is mounted on and has the heater hose connection pointing at the 11 o'clock position.

Looks like only the upper thermostat housing is available. You'll likely either need to find a used one, or a good machine shop could probably fix you up.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
is it the housing that broke? if that's the case I would try to find another housing. highdesertranger

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Well I looked and looked for a new lower housing but I only found old worn out ones that weren't going for less than $100. There was no guarantee that they didn't have hairline cracks also. I took it down to a welding shop today and had it welded up. The guy did a great job. It's back in the truck and leak free. Tomorrow I get a new windshield installed. New vinyl for the dash should be here Monday.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size