Turnsignal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Hey Gang

I got a weird turn signal problem. My right turn signal works but my left turn signal does not work up front only and in the dash. It works in the back just fine. My fourways work, occasionally, and when they do they work all the way around? I am baffled. Also another one for you, when i beep my horn the wipers turn on.....

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Turn signal switch is quite likely bad. Those are the symptoms of a bad one. As for the horn/wiper deferential, does it still have a 1982 column or a later one?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Weird things happen to directionals when the circuit is improperly grounded. Check the front lighting/horn harness for a good ground to the frame:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Back the bolts out, clean the threads, star washers and underside of the bolt head. Replace the bolts and snug up.

If that doesn't help, remove the lenses on each light assembly. Inspect and clean the socket for every lamp. Make sure the lamp has the correct base configuration.

However, as retroc10sport suggests, the problem may be in the wiring that runs up inside the steering column.

Do you have a tilt steering wheel? If so, try moving the angle to either the high or low extreme positions and see if that makes the problem go away.

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Thanks for getting back to me. Its not a 82 column anymore i believe its out of an 87 blazer. I know i do need to replace the turn signal lever. I had an incident where it some how got into my pocket of my jacket and it became modified. I will start with that and check all the grounds. The wipers also dont return to the down position. Is that something invoved with this also?

Chris

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
the wipers not returning to the down position is probably caused by not having a good connection where the wires plug into the back of the wiper motor unplug the wires and clean them also I'm not sure if there is a switch on the inside of the 82 wiper motors like on the 87 if there is its under the cover the wires plug into just remove cover and clean the switch

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Alright cool, i will take a look at all of this one of these days haha! Thanks for the help!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Chris if you ever want to come down on a Saturday I can help ya fix some of that stuff. Got a ton of parts and tools and the pull a part is 5 minutes away if we need it.

On the wipers I had the same problem. The self park switch inside the wiper motor was shot. So i had to replace the motor.

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
I've noticed my blinkers will do the quick flash like a bulb is out, checked them and all blinkers work, Started on LH now its both sides

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Chris if you ever want to come down on a Saturday I can help ya fix some of that stuff. Got a ton of parts and tools and the pull a part is 5 minutes away if we need it.

On the wipers I had the same problem. The self park switch inside the wiper motor was shot. So i had to replace the motor.

Taught 89S everything he knows. :D

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
Swapped out the blinker modules (hazard/turn signal) and fixed the issue, i'll probably get replacements eventually

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Taught 89S everything he knows. :D

Haha Then i should be in good hands! I will have to get together with you someday John. Hopefully someday soon to take a look at all this stuff. I dont drive it much anymore. All it does is hold a large water tank right now. The Dmax does all the pulling!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Even if you ever want to drop of it for a weekend or two I can knock it out for ya. I work for beer. :D

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Little up date on my turn signals. Well i replaced the lever. I havent gotten to the turn signal cancel switch under the steering wheel. But this is odd maybe. the left turn signal works in the rear while the key is in the off postion? I figured something is hot while its not suppose to be when the truck is off. I pulled fuses until it went off. The fuse for the 4 ways caused the issue. Is this still the turn signal switch or do i need to dig deeper now?

Chris

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
4ways is integrated in the same unit so yes the issue could still be in the turn signal switch or harness.

Posted from hell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64